Australian Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ukphiltr7

Reaction score
I have an Australia Pale Ale kit that I am looking to make this week. I have a nice Light Mangrove Jack Pure Liquid Malt Extract that I am going to add to it. Also I have been told that wet hopping (2 hops) with 200g of cracked crystal malt grains would make it a nice drink. I have not got any malt grain but I have got some East Kent Goldings hops. I am going to use two hops and was thinking of adding them to a cup of boiled water and soaking them for a bit and then adding the liquid (minus hops to the mix). How long do you let the hops soak for an should it be boiling water or look warm?

Is there anything that anyone can recommend to make this Australian Pale Ale a nice beer?

I am going to use two hops and was thinking of adding them to a cup of boiled water and soaking them for a bit and then adding the liquid (minus hops to the mix). How long do you let the hops soak for an should it be boiling water or look warm?
Is it a Mangrove Jacks Aussie pale? You will probably need more than a cup but it should be at around 80°C not boiling if you are adding it for taste. If you want to add it for bittering then it needs to be boiling water. I have one of these that I added 50g of Simcoe (dry hop) to today along with the kit hops.

If its the Coopers AuPA I suggest the following.
1. Soak the crystal malt in 1 litre water at about 70-75*C for about 30mins. Filter liquid off grain, then sparge with another litre of water at 75*C. Boil the liquid in a pot/pan for 15 minutes to sterilise. Cool it down in a sink of cold water and then this can be added to the wort.
2. If you are using additional hops I do not recommend that you boil them unless you have done the kit before and found it wasnt bitter enough. In any case boiling hops this way has no control over the amount of bitterness extracted.
3. For your hop tea I used to add 100ml of water at 85*C to every 10g of hops allow to cool then chuck the lot into the FV and then treat as dry hop. And I found that for me 50g of Cascade was the best hop to use with this kit, having tried several including EKG. Cascade suits the style really well.

Thanks for that. I have made it today, but I did not have any brewing sugar to add to it to boost the alcohol volume, so I just made it with the Coopers extract and the LME. I will be adding in hops a day or so before I bottle for the taste.

I made the APA with the kit Coopers kit and the malt extract and currently it is in the bottles proving. Been in the bottles just over a month and the other day I tried it. Wow it is tasting very nice even at this early stage. Just need to get a few more bubbles in it, but the taste is so nice. Next time I will add the Crystal Malt as suggested above, but think this kit is going to be one that I will make again.

Latest posts

Back