Tinsel Toes & Hop Pellets

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wherrypuzzled

Regular.
Reaction score
Sorry but searching on here first I still cant find a definitive answer although I did see one that seemed to be

I have TT on the go and it says after 4 days add the Hop pellets. So as someone says "well just add them".

I note it doesnt say (in the Instructions) make a tea of them , crush them or anything else so is it a case of just opening Lid tomorrow and dropping them in.

Simple as that ? Its what I am assuming but experience will count so if someone does soak them crush them , or anything similar I would be pleased to know.

PS I have my hopes up for a great 40 Pints in mid December

Last edited:
The reason there is not a definitive answer is that there are many techniques used by brewers you just choose the one that suits.
A hop tea is fine
dropping the hops in is fine but you will need to chill well to get the hop debris to the bottom before kegging.
Or add the hops in a weighted veg bag (30p ish from supermarket) so that you can remove them if you want.
So just choose one that suits you or mix and match the techniques

Thanks for replies so far.

Given the Beer needs to be kept warm for Secondary Fermentation that seems to rule out chilling them.

With 6 days or more till fermentation completes (after just dropping them in) do they sink or do they dissolve for want of a better word ?

Cheers again JT

Thanks for replies so far.

Given the Beer needs to be kept warm for Secondary Fermentation that seems to rule out chilling them.

With 6 days or more till fermentation completes (after just dropping them in) do they sink or do they dissolve for want of a better word ?

Cheers again JT
They will dissolve.
At the end of the six days you could chill the beer for a few days before bottling, then let it warm up again for a week or two to carbonate.

Can you chill your fermentation vessel? If so chuck em in,but I'd do that about day 12 after checking fermentation is on target.Leave for a couple of days,check its finished, chill for a couple of days then bottle or keg.
If you can't chill follow the above but bag them as described,weigh the bag down with marbles,Spoons etc
SANITISE the bag and weights before you chuck it in your beer!!

Old pair of SWMBO tights, sterilised and put them in there.
Worked fine for me.
I also only use about half of them, I don't like too happy a flavour.
Personal choice .

Cheers . I dropped them straight in this morning and will have to decide whether to half them (next time) once I've tasted it

However reading the "What kit beer would you not do again" Thread I may be doing TT just this once

Hope not it looks great on the box

Last edited:
Cheers . I dropped them straight in this morning and will have to decide whether to half them (next time) once I've tasted it

However reading the "What kit beer would you not do again" Thread I may be doing TT just this once

Hope not it looks great on the box
It is lovely drink! Just give it time in the bottle and it develops well.

In my case into a King Keg , and not touched till my Wherry is used up.

Only 8 pints a week go , all on a Friday so 5 weeks for the TT so it will be bang in Season by then

Cheers all

Finished secondary ferm of the Tinsel Toes (still no answer on average o.g.) and it has cleared enough in 3 days to try some and taste is ok and will improve

Just the colour is supposed to be Red though but will this evolve as the weeks go on as its not even as dark as a Wherry would be at this stage

Cheers Jt

Big thanks to Munton's for quick reply to my question

What is typical of for Tinsel Toes please
1.042 ( so its on record for the future )

Cheers Muntons

Latest posts

Back