Baby Burco f33l boiler Help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sorted I think, should I cut the capacitor out of the loop or will it do it no harm, I was thinking if I ever want to return it back to it's original function
EDT
not sorted it still cuts out before it gets to a rolling boil, t, I guess there must be a trip switch built into the element, some sort of bimetallic strip or a chip :(

Attachments

• 2019-07-28 08.18.56.jpg
    2019-07-28 08.18.56.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
I think I understand now, I need to bypass the spade and connect directly to the post
drawing.jpg

done this
2019-07-28 12.21.43.jpg

I left the greeny blue capacitor block in situ as it didn't appear to affect anything. hope that's ok

Last edited:
the best pic I can get of it doing a rolling boil. 210 f or 98c , thank you for your help. it came to me when I finally understood what a choccy block was :) why can't I have just taken the goldy brown wire and bypassed the yellow cut out on the element ? oh well it's boiling now,thank you
2019-07-28 12.56.56.jpg

EDIT
just done an test , it took an hour and a half to bring 27 litres of cold water to the boil 98c. I boiled the water for an hour and had a boil loss of 4 litres , no problems are apparent, so it's all sweet, the grain has been ordered so my first full mash brew day is approaching, sometime this week I hope, my home made FV plastic boiler will do as my HLT and my cool box is insulated with expanding foam and awaiting the ball valve tap, total outlay for the HLT the mash tun and boiler is around £50.00 all in.thanks again for all your input

Last edited:
Glad it worked out for you. You did the right thing asking for help and doing it but by bit. If your not confident don’t mess with elastic trickery. It will bite......

Well day the draws ever nearer for my first full grain brew, the ingredients have just arrived & I have just completed a heat loss test on my home made mash tun, II put a kettle full of boiling water in it and had a loss of 18 degrees c over one hour, it probably needs a jacket and a pre warm up for when I use it for real. I'm just waiting on a new ball valve for the MT and then I will be ready to fire up.

4.7 kg of mauris piper pale malt
0.24 cara pils
41 grm Amarillo at first boil
20 grm cascade 15 mins before the end
20 grms cascade 5 mins before the end
and 20 grms of brewers gold at the end.
and mangrove jacks liberty bell yeast
well that's my plan
2019-07-30 10.12.34.jpg

the mash tun made from an old asda cool box (that never kept anything cold) I took the polystyrene foam liner out from the inside of the box and dilled holes in the box and lid and filled with expanding foam, (I first bound the box and lid tight with cord to stop the foam tearing it apart) the polystyrene foam liner I cut to fit in the lid and covered it with x2 layers of heavy duty kitchen foil and then siliconed a piece of perspex over it to protect it from damage and moisture , I am just waiting on fitting the valve and a 12 inch bazooka stainless steel screen.
2019-07-30 10.33.54.jpg
2019-07-30 10.33.46.jpg

Oh to hell with it, I'm like a dog with two dicks, I couldn't wait, so I got a voile curtain and made a bag, and started mashing at 64c. had to alter the hops a bit due to supply . I have gone for mashing with 27 litres of water to allow for the grain soaking some water and evaporation during the boil. I may be able to us a bit of sparge water but it shouldn't be necessary with the volume of water in the mash, oops left the room too type this and the temp went up 2 degrees, oh well got it back down quickly

the best pic I can get of it doing a rolling boil. 210 f or 98c , thank you for your help.

How does your regulator work, I have set up a 33L Burco with the same regulator as you appear to have and it gives really good control in my tests. I'm re-purposing all the components, I bought them for another purpose some years ago and was amazed to find we have identical setups. I added a cooling fan to the back as they are supposed to be prone to overheating.

What has been your experience of this setup, any tips or advice? I'm about to do my first brew in mine, as soon as the grain arrives.

I'm really looking forward to my first brew up in this.

Here is a video of my controller which can control the temperature perfectly.
CLICK FOR VIDEO

Back