Back sweetening Turbo Cider- I can't seem to get it right.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

will4009

Reaction score
Hello,

I could use some advice regarding backsweetening.

I have made a few batches of turbo cider, and I haven't been able to perfect it. With my last brew, I used youngs wine sweetener, but I felt it left a strange aftertaste.

So, whats your prefered method?

I usually go for one or two sweetener tablets which doesn't turn our too bad, but I like all sorts of cider so I'm not too fussy😁

Cider is generally low abv which means sweetening in the bottle with sugar is always going to be "Problematic."

Other than some sort of artificial sweetener of which there are many (worth trying.????) The best idea I have seen is Chippy Teas idea of adding a bit sugar syrup to the glass at the point of serving.
( He did it with wine but it would also work with cider.)

It would have to be added as syrup as dry sugar would cause an eruption if added to sparkling cider.

I usually go for one or two sweetener tablets which doesn't turn our too bad, but I like all sorts of cider so I'm not too fussy😁

Is that just regular saccharin? I visited Wilkins Cider many years ago and as I recall they said that their medium and sweet ciders were just the dry cider with varying amounts of saccharin added.

And dont use Xylitol.... almost did before I thought Id check on here to see if it caused an off taste. Id forgotten, but turns out it has.....ah....other effects! 🤣

I used Canderel tabs and they were fine. And I definitely knew about it when I found the bottle I’d missed them out of!

If you're not looking for a bottle conditioned (sparkling) cider, you can add potassium sorbate and a simple sugar syrup. You simple add the syrup to the cider to taste, add the potassium sorbate to the batch, and either keg or bottle. Potassium sorbate will not stop an active ferment but will keep the cider (or wine, or beer) from starting up a renewed ferment.

I can't remember what type i have, but I think they are Asdas own brand.

I find sucralose fairly innocuous - it is available as a powder for about a pound in most supermarkets (it usually has a yellow lid). A slight aftertaste but not as bad as stevia. You use the same volume as dry sugar.

I find sucralose fairly innocuous - it is available as a powder for about a pound in most supermarkets (it usually has a yellow lid). A slight aftertaste but not as bad as stevia. You use the same volume as dry sugar.
Thanks for that. How much would you recommend per pint?

I like mine quite dry, so I think I only put 10 tsp in a minikeg of 5 litres. Take a glass and add it till you are happy, then scale that up to the batch.

Latest posts

Back