Back to Basic's 2, Showing how easy AG is.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This sounds like fun. Should be possible with a bare minimum:

A couple of saucepans - 1 to mash & 1 to transfer wort to & boil.
A funnel to get into the demijohn.
A Demijohn.
Airlock optional - cover top of demijohn with alu foil.
Weighing scale optional - Go by eye just like cooking.... :whistle:

Hydrometer not needed -just assume you've got ballpark... :?
Thermometer - use some crazy thermo calcs to get to strike temp & mash temp (beersmith not allowed!!)

I'm going to do mine this weekend, have had the calculator out working out my grain amounts based on a rough approximation of an 80 shilling ale... really looking forward to it :mrgreen:

I have a weekend off hurrah, but J off on the raz to the Belfry for a friends 40th, so going to have a go at a back to basics with the kids and nanny Peggy. Wish me luck :???:
Watch out for the ' outside the box' mash temperature retention thingy.

It's a fair cop m'lud, should have read the first post again :hat:

So, does that mean full rules regarding bottles and labels??

Nah rules on labels and bottles will be open, but please do at least label them so Dunfie know's which username it is from :)

Slight panic last night couldn't remember where I'd put 'mobotulism' and as I'd done some quality control if I had in fact guzzled it!!! Panic over I found three bottles tucked safely away from myself at the back of a crate!

Right for everyone that wants to send beers off Please contact Dunfie He will give you directions on where to post them :thumb:

Hi Folks

I've just received the first pm from Rich so I will give a little bit of info on what to expect.

First off - let me know if there is anything specific you want advice on. Given the nature of the challenge you are probably just hoping that you have made drinkable beer but if you have any queries then let me know.

I will provide feedback as if I was looking to judge a comp. This will include comments on appearance and clarity, head retention and condition, aroma, flavour and overall impression. I won't provide a score as this is a relative measurements and I won't be tasting all the beers back to back.

Once I have tasted all the beers I will give my overall winner.

Cheers

D. :cheers:

When do you want them all in by?

Mine's has only been in the bottles a week, so would like to give them my normal 4 weeks to condition....

BigYin said:
When do you want them all in by?

Mine's has only been in the bottles a week, so would like to give them my normal 4 weeks to condition....

I'm easy. I think Nick mentioned the end of the month.

Back