Back to Basic's 2, Showing how easy AG is.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dunfie, I've taken a bottle of mine into my work, it's settling, locked away by my desk - give me a shout when you're free to meet up one lunchtime please :cheers:

BigYin said:
Dunfie, I've taken a bottle of mine into my work, it's settling, locked away by my desk - give me a shout when you're free to meet up one lunchtime please :cheers:

Hi Mike

I am not in the office until the 5th November so I'll give you a shout in a couple of weeks.

I now have the beers from Dave, Rich and Jim. Do you want me to wait for all the beers (I have still to get bottles from Mike and Nick) or just go for it?

Dunfie said:
BigYin said:

Hi Mike

I am not in the office until the 5th November so I'll give you a shout in a couple of weeks.

Cool :thumb:

Yes I'd make a start D if your thirsty :D Mine needs checking then will be on it's way to you.

I have feedback too, not what I'd expected but constructive. Needless to say I haven't 'won'. Really interesting to learn how beer is judged and the off flavours that I had no perception of. I'm hoping I don't start noticing these now because at the end of the day I drink my beer because I like it. Luckily for me I don't have a sophisticated palate!

Things I have started to think about are letting my sparge water cool a little more and to stop recycling yeast. Because tannins and stressed yeast were two fault explanations and Ive had a few other brews where i suspected stressed yeast and it was always with recycled yeast. acid washing etc seems too fiddly when yeast is £2 a packet. I am also seriously considering a brew fridge.

It would be good to know what you guys have learnt from your brews as per Richards brew :thumb: as at the moment we have no idea if the beers were...ere...beer :lol: :tongue:

I'm happy to share my feedback....which I was very pleased with!

Steamer Beer

Clarity and Colour : The beer has good clarity. The bottle has obviously been transported upside down as there was yeast on the underside of the crown cap and also on the neck of the bottle.

Head and Condition : The condition of the beer is good but very little head retention.

Aroma : Nice sweet caramel malt soft fruit backnote (I get bramble) from the hops.

Flavour: Pleasant flavour at start, clean and creamy. Again I get a bramble flavour from the hops. After the initial flavour the hop bitterness comes through and dominates. The finish is very long and again it is the bitterness that is prominent.

Overall : I am very impressed that you made this as a B2B brew. Although there is a slight imbalance towards the bittering hops it is completely drinkable.

Cheers

Calum

I thought it was a very refreshing brew (probably because of the lower than my normal alcohol and the imbalance towards bittering) so I'm thinking that I will scale it up, add a bit of wheat malt to help the head, and brew a full size batch in the spring for summer drinking.

I've learnt that when brewing for others I perhaps need to tone the hops down a bit, my personal taste is that I quite like that level of bitterness, running it through Brewmate it comes out at 60 ibu's...so it's given me a target to aim for when I'm the main consumer and also a lower one for others.

Back