Bake your first sourdough šŸ¤¤

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would a slow cooker do the job has a base like a croc pot
If its oven proof then I don't see why not.
I have once used a sauce pan and lid to good success.. not sure if I should advise though??šŸ˜¬

Ok so I'm going to start on Wednesday evening. Feel free to tag along or follow the steps any time you fancyšŸ‘
You'll need a bag of strong bread flour.
All the water I use has been pre boiled to remove the chlorine as this can inhibit yeast.

Day one - 60g flour 60g water.
Mix together in a small bowl using your hand. There's natural yeasts all over your hands, on the flour and in the air.
Place mix in to a jam jar or something similar. And cover with a cloth.
Leave somewhere warmish in the kitchen.

Day two- maybe give a little mix and stare at it.

Day three- mix 60g flour with 60g of water in jam jar and add 30g of the original starter to it.
Save the remaining original starter.

Day four- repeat day three using 30g of 'day three starter'.
Also you will need to name your starter now so you create a bond with it.
Mines called 'duck' I'll name this one 'duck junior'

Day five- repeat

Day six- repeat. We should now be about ready to bake.
I'll post a picture daily in the evening of these steps. So we can all see the activitie that's going on.
Then closer to the time we'll talk about the next process of 'making the dough'.

Last edited:
Ok so I'm going to start on Wednesday evening. Feel free to tag along or follow the steps any time you fancyšŸ‘
You'll need a bag of strong bread flour.
All the water I use has been pre boiled to remove the chlorine as this can inhibit yeast.

Day one - 60g flour 60g water.
Mix together in a small bowl using your hand. There's natural yeasts all over your hands, on the flour and in the air.
Place mix in to a jam jar or something similar. And cover with a cloth.
Leave somewhere warmish in the kitchen.

Day two- maybe give a little mix and stare at it.

Day three- mix 60g flour with 60g of water in jam jar and add 30g of the original starter to it.
Save the remaining original starter.

Day four- repeat day three using 30g of 'day three starter'.
Also you will need to name your starter now so you create a bond with it.
Mines called 'duck' I'll name this one 'duck junior'

Day five- repeat

Day six- repeat. We should now be about ready to bake.
I'll post a picture daily in the evening of these steps. So we can all see the activitie that's going on.
Then closer to the time we'll talk about the next process of 'making the dough'.
Do you save the remaining starter every day? In their original jars or all mixed together?

Day three you've got 'save original starter' but there's no further mention of it, what do we do with it ?
Yes, every day we mix 60g of flour with 60g of water. We then add 30g of the day before starter.
I just save up all the old spent starter to use for other things. Mainly pancake's šŸ¤¤

Iā€™ve been doing this for 6 months now and it works a treat. Iā€™ve moved to making a levain with the starter and then baking a loaf with the Levain do the quantities going in and out of the jar are smaller. But I have got a 400g starter up and running with 2x12hr steps for a big pizza party so it definitely works.

PXL_20201229_131959241.jpg

Ok so a quick chat about the pot above.
This is our 'Dutch oven'. Because we don't have a bakers oven, we need something that creates a similar environment.
Once the loaf is ready for baking, we preheat our oven at its highest setting 20c+
With the Dutch oven inside.
We will have our loaf ready to bake on a sheet of baking paper.
Remove the pot from oven, place the loaf and paper inside. Lid on and bake for 40 minutes. Remove the lid and bake for another 10 minutes depending on how things are going.

Ok day one.
Mix 60g of water that's been boiled and allowed to cool to about 30c with 60g of your bread flouršŸ‘
Remember use your finger to mix and maybe have a walk around your garden..
Then tip into a jar with a loose cloth over the top and leave somewhere warm in the kitchen.
PXL_20201230_164436108.jpg
PXL_20201230_164520046.MP.jpg
PXL_20201230_164701625.jpg

as i'm having some heating issues (there isn't any) i'll have to spectate for the moment and add info to text files for future reference.

Latest posts

Back