Ball & keg (level indicator) test - looks good

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill_g

Reaction score
As the question of how to keep track of what's left in a corny keg arises from time to time I thought that it might be of interest to post a review of the 'ball and keg' level indicator kit ( see Youtube demo). Having received one today from BrewUK, I've just given it a try using water and happy to report that it looks to work well. The kit comes with one float, 3 orange indicators and 1 reasonably strong disc magnet
The disc magnet isn't the strongest available for the size but nevertheless will pull the float from about mid way across the keg, so it should be possible to recover if the little orange indicator is dislodged at any stage.
Because it's a fairly physical process to manhandle full kegs into my keg fridge it will be all too easy to dislodge the tiny orange indicator ball. So what I plan to do is to retain the float with the disc magnet then secure the disc magnet with a piece of gaffer tape. After loading the keg into the fridge I'll then take off the tape and do the swap over to the small indicator.
I have the horrible feeling that since the orange indicators are small, round and light they will travel an awful long way and be hard to find when dropped. So I'm glad the kit includes 3.
But certainly it seems to do the trick and appears to be a simple but ingenious solution to this problem.

Latest posts

Back