Banana wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see no one has replied to subtle duck about bottle use so i will give it a go.

About 25yrs ago i had unlimited access to champagne bottles to produce sparkling wine.
Times and circumstances have changed so now i have to recycle beer bottles or buy PET from the homebrew store.
The result is nothing like the same as the carbonation pressure is so,so much lower.

So my yeast (CML orange yeast) has smashed through the banana wine to dryness in 5 days! Will insert pictures below. I have a lot of sediment though. Is this normal? I did try to filter the best I could before I put in the yeast. It was 9L of sediment at first but now a couple of hours later it’s 4.5L. Going to hope it’ll settle out to a lower level so I don’t lose too much product.

5164F188-8DAD-4904-9ED0-6DE2667BA9F8.jpeg

05CE440A-D50F-46BA-BA15-2EBE30B2F8EC.jpeg

DFD9F8D5-10D5-48C1-A51E-7AD0678413D2.png

re:Sediment. I'd heard this about banana wine, so I added extra bananas and upped the liquid for mine.

Just racked now, not that much sediment, in fact I had some product left over, not that much. It's also still fermenting slightly - it's gone bone dry, so prob off gassing a bit. Anyway, don't have any fermentation vessels about, didn't want to bottle and I don't want to throw stuff away (I hate that).

So that leaves option 3. Drink it. Just had three glasses (small) of rather nice wine - it's got white wine vibes, not much banana.

I'm going to try this again, I've got some ideas for improvement next time.

Banana wine is well noted for being full bodied indeed it was often added to other country wines to add body
It is lovely though once it has a bit of maturity on it.

Latest posts

Back