Base malt recommendations.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRedDarren

Landlord.
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good base malt to try? So far I've been using Maris Otter and Pilsner malts but would like to try others.

Mainly brewing pales, ipas and some stouts/porters.

Thanks all.

Minch malt or Best Maltz (sp?) from HBC. Great run-offs from them both. Had better efficiencies from the Minch. I used the Best Ale from Best Maltz and it gave a lovely straw colour to my pales.

Interesting I look forward to the input. Ive been looking at base malts today.

Is golden promise still around? I found it to be a little more subtle than MO, between MO and pale malt really. Worked really well in more hop-forward beers.

Otherwise I really enjoy 100% munich or vienna based beers. Made quite a few SMASH beers with either munich or vienna.

must say im a fan of the minch malts

i had only used MO till a while back

originally i bought the Minch at a knockdown price...not expecting a great deal

now its my go to base for everything..(bar my fecked up redx brew)

last batch used today for first was nice to see the info on the sack...

looked like paper....plastic lined

labeled years harvest ..when packed and bb date....

must say im a fan of the minch malts

i had only used MO till a while back

originally i bought the Minch at a knockdown price...not expecting a great deal

now its my go to base for everything..(bar my fecked up redx brew)

last batch used today for first was nice to see the info on the sack...

looked like paper....plastic lined

labeled years harvest ..when packed and bb date....

Haven't heard of that Niman, have you got a link to it?

I've used dingemans pale ale malt in a SMASH and would recommend it. Bit more colour & flavour than the MO

I've used dingemans pale ale malt in a SMASH and would recommend it. Bit more colour & flavour than the MO

Pale Ale malt is ok for all english, american and belgian styles.
and also for some german ones can be adapted

Been using lager malt recently. First departure from mo or pilsner malt for me too really. Been fine in all beer styles IMO. Very cheap too for 25kg.

I'm going to have a little try of that Minch malt then. Great description on the HBC site...

Minch malt is 100% Irish Origin certified with traceability back to a specific field. Minch have 600 growers that grow barley in areas from Laois, Waterford, Wexford, Wicklow, Carlow, Offaly and Kilkenny and the company has been in operation since 1847. All Minch malt is malted in Ireland at the Local Athy plant in Kildare.

Minch Malt have recently allocated their smaller Robert Boby Malting plant to produce an ale malt specifically designed to appeal to the craft brewer. The malting regime is unique and not used for any of our other customers giving a higher colour (4-6 EBC), more flavour with lower moisture due to the extended time and temperature of the kilning process. This malt will be stored in a designated silo throughout the year, and only sold to homebrewers and craft brewers. This malt has already been tried and tested by a number of craft brewers and the feedback has been very positive.

100% Sebastian variety, Ale Malt Crop, it was grown in the south of County Laois. This malt is suitable as a base for all ales, porter, stouts and blond beers. Usage 100%.

Hopefully its ok for me to c&p it here..? If not, please remove.

I'm going to have a little try of that Minch malt then. Great description on the HBC site...

Minch malt is 100% Irish Origin certified with traceability back to a specific field. Minch have 600 growers that grow barley in areas from Laois, Waterford, Wexford, Wicklow, Carlow, Offaly and Kilkenny and the company has been in operation since 1847. All Minch malt is malted in Ireland at the Local Athy plant in Kildare.

Minch Malt have recently allocated their smaller Robert Boby Malting plant to produce an ale malt specifically designed to appeal to the craft brewer. The malting regime is unique and not used for any of our other customers giving a higher colour (4-6 EBC), more flavour with lower moisture due to the extended time and temperature of the kilning process. This malt will be stored in a designated silo throughout the year, and only sold to homebrewers and craft brewers. This malt has already been tried and tested by a number of craft brewers and the feedback has been very positive.

100% Sebastian variety, Ale Malt Crop, it was grown in the south of County Laois. This malt is suitable as a base for all ales, porter, stouts and blond beers. Usage 100%.

Hopefully its ok for me to c&p it here..? If not, please remove.

Can't see a problem, myself.

I have used the Minch pale for my last 2 Grainfather brews. I feel the crush may be little fine for the GF, but TBF, my own cack-handedness is mostly to blame for any issues with grain in the lower part of the machine.

As ever, the beer seems to be drinkable in the end, even is there is some "human middleware" in between.

For light or blonde ales use lager or Pilsner if you really want but brew as an ale. Gives the beer a light colour especially good for summer ales. Good with fruity hops such as the Slovenian dana,wolf,cascade etc

Yes def agree with this or even half and half with a pale malt.

I think one of my first ventures to teh dark side was something like this with cascade it was great

Latest posts

Back