Batch Priming and Bottle Size

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OlsBean

Reaction score
This might be a stupid question, if it is then apologies in advance.

Do the size of the bottles you use for racking have affect on the amount of sugar you use for batch priming? I recently bottled some Bulldog Easter Brew Chocolate Stout into 330ml bottles, priming with 90g of Brewing Sugar and despite following the same regime (20 Days Warm Conditioning) as a St Peters Cream Stout I'd done recently using 500ml bottles, it has failed to carbonate as well. There is some carbonation there but it can only be described as best as a tickle.

TIA

I believe if you are batch priming it shouldn't make a difference, but I've found that good carbonation needs a bit longer and has seemed better with my bottles that had a good period in the cold after being somewhere warm.

Could there have been an issue with the seals or anything else about the process?

No other issues, the seals seem good. It may well be that I have not cold conditioned them long enough, they have been outside for just over a week after 16 days in the warm. I've given them a shake and brought them back inside now into the warmth, going to give them another week or so then put them back out and leave them.

No, bottle size makes no difference as you're spreading the sugar need to carbonate the entire volume throughout the entire volume, once mixed in it won't matter if you put it in 100ml bottles or 1000ml bottles.

I don't know if this has anything to do with it but the few stouts I've made have never carbonated brilliantly, never had problems with anything else, maybe the yeast becomes a bit more lazy in these or they need more sugar to get a decent fizz?

I also give mine a gentle stir once the sugar syrup and the beer is in the bottling bucket, the sugar syrup will naturally sink to the bottom being of a higher density so it needs mixing in. Don't thrash it though as you don't want to oxidise the brew.

Latest posts

Back