Bavarian Helles AG recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theo

Reaction score
Hello to all.
I am going to make a Bavarian Helles all grain lager.
This is the first time i am trying to make a lager, so if anyone has any experience please share any advice!

This is the recipe for a 19lt batch.

Weyerman Pilsner malt - 3.50kg
Weyerman Munich Barke malt - 0.30kg
25gr Hallertauer Mittelfrueh (4%) - boil 60min
20gr Tettnang (4.5%) boil 15min
W-34/70 dry yeast

I plant to make a double decoction to increase maltiness and body without adding much colour.
What do you think so far?

Recipe looks good.

I think a decoction mash is a lot of work considering the benefits it may give. European malts tend to be modified enough so brewers don't have to do this. I can confirm English malts I've used are great, I don't know about Weyerman as I haven't used them in years, but they probably are well modified.

Thank you.
Another question. I plan to bottle the beer in as a clean state as possible, because i want as less sediment on the bottle as possible. I don't speak about filtering prior to bottling, just a careful racking.
Do you think that bottle fermentation will be successful?

There will be enough yeast in suspension still to ensure refermentation in the bottle. Breweries put their beer through a centrifuge to remove the yeast. I've left a beer conditioning for a year, it was very clear when I came to bottle and it still fermented in the bottle, so you should be alright! Are you gonna cold crash the lager?

Yes, i am planning to lager it after fernentation at around 3-5 C for around a month. Will it be enough?

One last question please.
The lagering step should be prior or after the bottle conditioning?

I thought that the process goes like that:
1. Primary fermentation of the batch to around 12C
2. Lagering of the batch at 3-5C for a month
3. Bottling and refermentation in the bottle.

Yes your process is correct, batch lager then bottle. Whilst it is possible to lager in the bottle, it tastes better to batch lager. Once you bottle leave for a minimum of 2 weeks, it will get nicer the longer you leave it.

I'd like to hear how it goes once it's ready!

Today I'm making a similar beer, but using kolsch yeast instead of lager yeast. I have some saaz I grew which I'm looking forward to using. This is for a 25 litre batch with ~82% efficiency. Will mash for 90 mins at 66C, ferment at 20C for a couple of weeks and cold crash for a couple of weeks.

upload_2018-11-4_11-26-14.png

Here's a link to my brew day thread where I brewed a Munich Helles. Still a few left, it's been a tasty enough beer but a bit boring compared to my other beers. Good with food but not so much for drinking in an evening.

The Brulosophy lagering method seemed to work great for me although I've nothing to really compare it to.

Something i forgot asking.
As we already told, i am going to batch lager, then bottle referment. Should the bottle refermentation be at low (lagering) temperatures? Thanks!

Bottle condition as you would a normal beer: 2 weeks warm (20C) then 2 weeks cold crash. The longer in the bottle the nicer it will be.

Thank you.
Another question. I plan to bottle the beer in as a clean state as possible, because i want as less sediment on the bottle as possible. I don't speak about filtering prior to bottling, just a careful racking.
Do you think that bottle fermentation will be successful?
I've lagered for three months at 1c with 34/70 and had no problem bottle conditioning.

Latest posts

Back