Camden Hells Recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thatscold

Reaction score
Morning All,

Does anyone have a clone recipe for Camden Hells that they can share?
They list the following on their website; Bavarian Lager yeast, Perle and Hallertau Tradition hops and our own special house Pilsner malt from Bamberg (we’re one of the only two breweries outside Germany to use it).
IBU 29, so I guess I can have a play in Brewfather to get a rough approximation. Perle for bittering, then 15mins and flameout additions for both?

Not sure which yeast to use - also will need a fairly big starter.

Camden Hells
Munich Helles
5.0% / 12 °P
All Grain
BIAB 70L Kettle
70% efficiency
Batch Volume: 42 L
Boil Time: 60 min
Mash Water: 48.64 L
Total Water: 48.64 L
Boil Volume: 47.79 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.046
Vitals
Original Gravity: 1.049
Final Gravity: 1.011
IBU (Tinseth): 30
Colour: 5.1 EBC

Mash
Strike Temp — 68.4 °C
Temperature — 65 °C60 min
Malts (9.2 kg)
9 kg (97.8%) — Weyermann Pilsner — Grain — 2.5 EBC
200 g (2.2%) — Hoepfner Carapils — Grain — 3.9 EBC
Hops (117 g)
29 g (14 IBU) — Perle 8% — Boil — 60 min
29 g
(7 IBU) — Hallertau Tradition 7% — Boil — 15 min
29 g
(8 IBU) — Perle 8% — Boil — 15 min
15 g
(1 IBU) — Hallertau Tradition 7% — Aroma — 15 min hopstand
15 g
(1 IBU) — Perle 8% — Aroma — 15 min hopstand

Hopstand at 77 °C
Yeast
1 pkg — Wyeast Labs 2206 Bavarian Lager 77%
Fermentation
Primary — 11 °C18 days
Primary — 15 °C3 days
Carbonation: 2.4 CO2-vol

Recipe looks solid for a lager although most helles recipes don't have a flameout addition that i have come across. You might extract unwanted bitterness with those hops unless you you chill the wort enough before the hopstand. Even 77c can pull some out. Generally I go for something lower AA like saaz or mittlefruh for flameout, I do roughly half of the bittering dose. Style guidelines says a maximum of 22 IBU which would seem more like it if i remember correctly. I use about 50g of saaz for this style.

There is a debate as to whether carapils does much but you don't need it to get good head retention and lacing. Carbonation will take care of that if you kegging. You could swap it for munich or biscuit malt or even more base malt. Worth experimenting to see what you like.

I start to raise the temperature when bubbling slows down and hold at 18c until day 21. Usually after a week depending how fast fermentation takes off. Not all lager yeast require a rest so i have been told but i do it to all mine as i think it helps the yeast to clean up and start to flocculate.

A lot of lager yeasts are very similar but you will need a large starter. Dry yeast is fine but your choice will make a great lager.

Thanks - I wasn't sure about the flameout additions. Camden Hells has a different taste to a Munich Helles and a slightly higher IBU.

Interesting comment about the carapils, I've used it in my Lager recipes to date, but if I don't need it then I can exclude that too.

I have the ability to pressure ferment, but I'm not in a hurry so I was going to stick to the normal lager fermentation profile.

Carapils seems to be a contentious subject. Brulosophy have done an exbeeriment with it for what its worth.
You're correct that it's contentious...

You are correct that Brulosophy have looked at the Carapils effect - ISTR they lokoed at both Briess Carapils and Weyermann Carapils (Carafoam in the US) ad IIRC they found no benefit...

But on the other hand, from my own investigations/experience I see a definite difference on my system, with my water, etc etc etc.

So I think it's one of those areas where it may vary from brewer to brewer.

you don't need it to get good head retention and lacing. Carbonation will take care of that if you kegging.

Carbonation alone will not ensure good ‘head’ though. You need foam positive ingredients and methods.

Dr Bamforth aka the pope of foam, has just done a podcast (one of many) on the subject. Look up Brad Smith/Beer Smith. It’s very interesting.

Latest posts

Back