Beer of the Month (December 2018)

Discussion in 'General Beer Discussion' started by braziliain, Dec 1, 2018.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Dec 3, 2018 #21

dad_of_jon

dad_of_jon

dad_of_jon

Beer designer

yup its a great beer, lots of cloves. Will Carling tried one years ago on tv and said it tasted like anti-septic. (don't let that put you off - it was Will C after all.)

braziliain likes this.
  2. Dec 3, 2018 #22

Honk

Honk

Honk

How about making January's beer the winner from the world cup, assuming it's not too difficult to get hold of?

braziliain and Hoddy like this.
  3. Dec 3, 2018 #23

Hoddy

Hoddy

Hoddy

General lurker.......

That’s a good shout. Second round matches are looking really close.

Honk likes this.
  4. Dec 3, 2018 #24

braziliain

braziliain

braziliain

Small Batch Brewer

Sounds good to me athumb.. :beer1:

Honk likes this.
  5. Dec 4, 2018 #25

-Bezza-

-Bezza-

-Bezza-

Regular.

Weihenstephaner recommend serving between 6-8°C.

Hefe is German for yeast (Yeast Wheat Beer is the full translation) and the instructions I saw for brewing Hefe Weiss are that it needs next to no conditioning time, so I would assume you are meant to rouse the yeast on this one.

Honk likes this.
  6. Dec 4, 2018 #26

Bigcol49

Bigcol49

Bigcol49

Regular. Supporting Member

Hi!
    I've seen Germans pouring all but the last bit into the glass and rolling the bottle on the bar top before pouring it quickly into the glass.
    The shape of the glass is important - it's designed to hold the massive foam without overspill.
    Don't forget to rinse the glass with cold water first.

7. Dec 4, 2018 #27

Ajhutch

Ajhutch

Ajhutch

Regular. Supporting Member

I had a Weinstephanenenen Weiss tonight. I’m travelling on business and picked one up in a bottle shop in Vienna.

My thoughts:

The aroma is a banana bomb. Sweet, almost haribo candy banana. I like it but I can imagine some wouldn’t! Bright yellow colour and fairly hazy as you would expect. The flavour I felt was more balanced than the aroma with some spicy notes alongside the banana. It’s all about the yeast character really, malt is supporting only and hop is basically absent. Where I really think this beer was fantastic compared to say the Franziskanser you can get in every supermarket is the mouthfeel. It’s highly carbonated but the mouthfeel is incredibly soft, almost pillowy. That must be to do with the water I guess. It was a really enjoyable beer.

As an aside, if you ever find yourself in Vienna, check this place out. Absolutely amazing selection of beers. https://www.beerlovers.at/

Honk and braziliain like this.
  8. Dec 6, 2018 at 6:22 PM #28

Honk

Honk

Honk

I am drinking a bottle of this now, not to my taste i'm afraid.

I've led a pretty sheltered life when it comes to beer, mainly just sticking to british beers, it's only the last few years since taking up brewing that I've starting exploring further afield, there are quite a few styles now that I've never had a commercial version of, just a self brewed version of that style,mainly from greg hughes book.

Was really looking forward to trying this beer, it sounds great and has an interesting history and was something that I had considered brewing. Taste wise i'm getting the cloves but not banana (I've never tasted banana in a beer even in the commercial Belgian beers I've tried) I like the mouthfeel very soft. Aroma and taste reminds me very much of a saison i brewed which is also not exactly to My tastes but I'm slowly getting through the keg.

Not so awful I couldn't drink it (who am I kidding, I will drink anything) and I've finished the glass whilst typing this, but at least I now know not to bother brewing 23 litres of the stuff.

Here's hoping that next month's beer of the month is more to my taste, I love the concept and want to keep exploring new beers.

I'm off to the garage now to wash my mouth out with a nice pint of English bitter.

braziliain likes this.
  9. Dec 6, 2018 at 6:30 PM #29

braziliain

braziliain

braziliain

Small Batch Brewer

Nevermind Honk, trying it and disliking it is just as valid as trying it and loving it. This thread is all about sharing a cabin on this intrepid voyage of beer discovery!

I have purchased a bottle from The House of Trembling Madness in York but haven't cracked it open yet .

10. Dec 6, 2018 at 10:19 PM #30

-Bezza-

-Bezza-

-Bezza-

Regular.

I've just had my bottle. Particularly interested as I have an AG hefe kit to brew next.

Appearance probably 3/5 for me. Beautifully clear beer with a rich colour is sexy beer as far as I'm concerned. Naturally this is cloudy so loses points but has a rich honey colour and a thick head to pick things up again.

Taste is probably a 2.5/5 for me. I get the fruitiness initially which gives way to a creamy sweetness of beer, with a lingering spice. Didn't get clove specifically but then everyone's tastebuds are different. Otherwise lacked complexity - seemed just a bit one dimensional. Mouth feel was full of body and smooth but too much carbonation overall for my liking. Think I'll under carb my one.

Enjoyable but I've had better wheat beers. Carbonation levels mean I could only drink one or two.

I have another bottle to try when I brew mine so will be interesting if my views change on this or the home brewed version. Glad to have tried this though.

11. Dec 8, 2018 at 5:16 PM #31

Lawrence22

Lawrence22

Lawrence22

Will try and find a bottle of this during the week, great thread.

12. Dec 8, 2018 at 5:42 PM #32

strange-steve

strange-steve

strange-steve

Quantum Brewer

You'll find it in sainsbury, even in NI, I picked one up last week.

Lawrence22 likes this.