Beer too Fizzy

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagnusTS

Reaction score
Hello again,

My last 3 brews have been way too fizzy. They have looked like an over-primed turbo cider, but with a head that does not dissipate quickly. So they have been a pain to pour, I ma wasting beer that is left in the bottle as the head fills the glass, and then the head continues to grow and I waste more beer as it overflows. I'll post a photo.

I'm using the same weight of sugar to prime, about 140g in 23L, which usually makes a nice and fizzy pale ale, but not over the top fizzy, until these last 3 brews.

I've switched to caster sugar rather than brewing sugar or granulated, but can't see that would make a difference.

Temperature has been a bit higher with it being summer and all, but doesn't that just affect how quick it primes, not the final fizz. There must be a finite amount of fizz when all priming sugar is used up.

Apart from the crazy fizz the beers have been good.

Any thoughts?
Cheers,
M

I don't know what it weighs but I use 2 tbs sugar maximum for priming 23lt. My pet hate in beer is it being fizzy, but that rate gives a sufficient and smooth carbonation with no hint of that dreadful tingle redolent of crappy cheap lager. And do leave in the FV for a minimum of 2 weeks before doing anything with it.... any less than that and fermentation is still likely ongoing and will continue to chuck out CO2 in addition to your priming sugar.

Use one of the online calculators to prime your beer, BrewersFriend condition at the same temp as you fermented at and you shouldn't have a problem.Also a good idea to bulk prime if you aren't doing that.

What style are you making? 140grams is too much for a lot of styles.. about right for others..

Try not to blanket prime your beers the same amount because some need that fizz and others the fizz can get in the way

A tip woudl be pour the beer into a jug and then transfer back and forth to glass or another jug to help degas them.

I use about 85g of Brewing Sugar to prime a 23 litres brew.

I bought a couple of these to reduce the amount of beer I lost if I didn't pour a beer properly from the 650ml bottles I use.

They hold one litre plus a head and are definitely not for people who want to sip their beer! :thumb:

Lager after.jpg

Thanks folks. All good thoughts, and I realise I did't go into much detail about my brews in my original post.

My last 6 or 7 brews have all been American ale types: pales and IPAs, and I have been aiming for about 2.5 vols of CO2. Using Brewers friend I think that comes out at 155g per 23L batch (with 22C room temp). I've been using between 130g and 150g. I usually get a decent fizz, but not over the top, with this amount of priming sugar. It's just these last 3 brews that have been way too fizzy.

They all get about 3 weeks in the FV (at room temp), and I batch prime in a bottling bucket, then give them 2 weeks at room temp to bottle, before transferring to the shed to condition.

Great tips about using an over-sized beer glass or transferring to jug and then to glass to de-gas. I will be giving that a go this weekend.

Here is a photo of my fizzy beery mess:

IMG_3058.jpg

Yes, this does make a difference. Caster sugar produces more CO2 per gram than brewing sugar, so you should reduce the quantity accordingly. The Brewer's Friend beer priming calculator is you friend.

How does it produce more CO2 per gramme when it is identical to granulated sugar, chemically? If going by volume, I'd say a teaspoon of granulated might be the same as 3/4 teaspoon of caster, since the latter is more of a powder and thus denser. I know I'm splitting hairs maybe but being decidely old-school I prefer the old way of measuring such things - a spoonful of this and that etc!

How does it produce more CO2 per gramme when it is identical to granulated sugar, chemically? If going by volume, I'd say a teaspoon of granulated might be the same as 3/4 teaspoon of caster, since the latter is more of a powder and thus denser. I know I'm splitting hairs maybe but being decidely old-school I prefer the old way of measuring such things - a spoonful of this and that etc!

It isn't chemically identical. Caster sugar is sucrose and brewing sugar is dextrose.

Thanks folks. All good thoughts, and I realise I did't go into much detail about my brews in my original post.

My last 6 or 7 brews have all been American ale types: pales and IPAs, and I have been aiming for about 2.5 vols of CO2. Using Brewers friend I think that comes out at 155g per 23L batch (with 22C room temp). I've been using between 130g and 150g. I usually get a decent fizz, but not over the top, with this amount of priming sugar. It's just these last 3 brews that have been way too fizzy.

They all get about 3 weeks in the FV (at room temp), and I batch prime in a bottling bucket, then give them 2 weeks at room temp to bottle, before transferring to the shed to condition.

Great tips about using an over-sized beer glass or transferring to jug and then to glass to de-gas. I will be giving that a go this weekend.

Here is a photo of my fizzy beery mess:
Try dropping it to 2.0/2.1 and use brewers friend calculator to batch prime and base it on the temp of the FV you are decanting,not room temp.
I tried using beer enhancer for three brews and ended up with gushers so reverted to good old granulated sugar and cut back on the carbonation as well and so far all good.:thumb:

Dutto...I hope you are wearing your best lederhosen when quaffing from the man jug! Where did you get them.....??

Got them from here ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000Y9MNCA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

... after SWMBO broke the only 800ml straight glass that had been handed down through my family since Adam was a lad! :doh: :doh:

I haven't cast it up yet 'cos I'm waiting for the right moment. (This being a tactic that all married men will understand!) :whistle:

Last edited by a moderator:

Sugar is a glucose-fructose disaccharide. Dextrose is a monosaccharide.

You might want to read my post again.

"Caster sugar is sucrose"", ie granulated white sugar in finer form. Nowt to do with dextrose or 'brewing sugar'. Forgive me if I'm missing something - got that hazy-headed malaise cos of doing nights.

Just be careful. :nono: :nono:

Filling a one litre jug with 50% beer and 50% foam is okay ... :thumb: :thumb:

... but when the pressure falls you finish up pouring 95% beer and 5% foam ...

... and there's no way you can put it back or throw it away is there! :whistle:

Enjoy! :thumb: :thumb:

Transferring from jug to glass worked a treat.
Still very fizzy, but didn't waste a drop.
Wish I'd known this trick 2 and a half brews ago.
Thanks folks.

IMG_3063.jpg

Try dropping it to 2.0/2.1 and use brewers friend calculator to batch prime and base it on the temp of the FV you are decanting,not room temp.
I tried using beer enhancer for three brews and ended up with gushers so reverted to good old granulated sugar and cut back on the carbonation as well and so far all good.:thumb:

Thanks Chub. I'll try cutting back on priming sugar and aim for 2.0 for my next brew.

Back