Beer Types

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leemond

Reaction score
Although I'm a seasoned drinker of the various types of ale, I was wondering if anyone could provide a little guide as to what constitutes certain beer types in terms of brewing? (I know in terms of taste ;) ) Since started brewing with kits I've since created several of my own recipes however I'm not sure what category of beer they would fit into.

As an example my latest brew was made from Pale & Golden Promise malt and Northern Brewer hops. I expect this will just be categorised as a blonde ale... or will it be a pale ale? What are the differences between an Indian pale ale to an English or American one? What makes a stout different to a porter or a red ale compared to an amber?

I wanted to post in the "what have you brewed today" thread but wasn't sure what to put for my latest brew :lol:

If you enter your recipe into Brewers friend it will suggest which styles it matches.

At the end of the day if you like what you brew then it doesn't matter what type of beer it is.

A good place to start is the BJCP style guide. Once you familiarize yourself with the different styles google xxx style guidelines (eg Robust porter style guidlines) and look out for the BYO.com hits. They're very good at breaking down and describing the different styles, their history and how to make them
http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/

A good place to start is the BJCP style guide. Once you familiarize yourself with the different styles google xxx style guidelines (eg Robust porter style guidlines) and look out for the BYO.com hits. They're very good at breaking down and describing the different styles, their history and how to make them
http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/

The whole booklet in PDF format is on that site here:
http://www.bjcp.org/docs/2015_Guidelines_Beer.pdf

I have it saved to my phone for reference

I would say that the BJCP guidelines are a poor place to start, unless you are planning to enter competitions.

I think that Michael Jackson used the concept of beer 'styles' to enable him to talk about the beers he found in the real world. Nowadays, people seem to be trying to fit the real world into beer styles.

Much of the distinction is, and always has been, marketing. I'd recommend Martyn Cornell's 'Amber, Gold and Black' for a good history of the development of the broad categories in the UK.

At the end of the day if you like what you brew then it doesn't matter what type of beer it is.

Very True! I just thought if I did ever end up sharing a recipe on here I wanted to be able to advise the more serious brewer what they were in for :lol:

Thanks for the other links / suggestions - will have a nosey at them with interest :thumb:

I would say that the BJCP guidelines are a poor place to start, unless you are planning to enter competitions.

I think that Michael Jackson used the concept of beer 'styles' to enable him to talk about the beers he found in the real world. Nowadays, people seem to be trying to fit the real world into beer styles.

Much of the distinction is, and always has been, marketing. I'd recommend Martyn Cornell's 'Amber, Gold and Black' for a good history of the development of the broad categories in the UK.

I both agree and disagree with this. I do think the BJCP guidelines are a good starting place for beer styles, but I use them as a starting point rather than a be-all-and-end-all, and they've helped me greatly as a starting point for past and future recipes I've tried to put together.

I do agree that people shouldn't get bogged down with details, and shouldn't feel they can't include or exclude different grains/hops just because it doesn't fall within the style guidelines.

I both agree and disagree with this. I do think the BJCP guidelines are a good starting place for beer styles, but I use them as a starting point rather than a be-all-and-end-all, and they've helped me greatly as a starting point for past and future recipes I've tried to put together.

I do agree that people shouldn't get bogged down with details, and shouldn't feel they can't include or exclude different grains/hops just because it doesn't fall within the style guidelines.

Thiss ^^^^

I tend to use them as a guide and as I do not enter a lot of competitions don't fall foul of the exact guidelines. I do find that if I am planning a certain style then teh BJCP give an indication of what typical ingredients you might find there, after that I add my own as needed.

Back