Beginners Guide to Water Treatment (plus links to more advanced water treatment in post #1)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

Argentum

Regular.
Reaction score
Hmm, I used a Salifert Alkalinity test kit to get that number but this generic overview of the water in my area would suggest otherwise. However I do not know how old it is. I am inclined to go with the results from the test kit.

View attachment 53692
There is nothing within your water supply zone report that is indicating Alkalinity (as CaCO3). Clark, French, and German Degrees are all in reference to Total Hardness, and are merely different means of representing the Total Hardness. Hardness is not Alkalinity. Both Hardness and Alkalinity are however 'normalized' to CaCO3, but this does not at all imply that both are the same, as they are clearly not.

Short version: This report does not tell you your waters Alkalinity.

Edit: I see where you used a Salifert kit to determine your Alkalinity.
For reference:
17.848 x German dH units = mg/L (ppm) units
GH = Total Hardness in dH units
KH = Alkalinity in dH units

Last edited:

RPeters

Reaction score
Hi all, I've got myself into a muddle trying to work out my additives. I'm going to be brewing a neipa at the weekend so i understand i require a chloride rich water profile, so I'll add calcium chloride. It's the ratio's where i start to get confused, am i meant to add Gypsum for sulphate still? Or would that add too much Calcium?
I will be using Tesco Ashbeck water for a 23 litre batch. If someone could assist, that would be fantastic. Cheers!

Reaction score
Hi all, I've got myself into a muddle trying to work out my additives. I'm going to be brewing a neipa at the weekend so i understand i require a chloride rich water profile, so I'll add calcium chloride. It's the ratio's where i start to get confused, am i meant to add Gypsum for sulphate still? Or would that add too much Calcium?
I will be using Tesco Ashbeck water for a 23 litre batch. If someone could assist, that would be fantastic. Cheers!
Gordon Strong uses RO water so I would be adding what he does.

JonathanMSE

Reaction score
I don't know if this will be of use to anyone. But I've taken the info in the original post and made it into a flowchart/reference document for myself

Alkalinity Treatment.png

Calcium Treatment.png

curtiskenny

Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been covered - but water treatment is new to me and I'm interested in treating the water for my BIAB brews.

For alkalinity it is mentioned that this should be different for mash and sparge water. In the case of BIAB should I just treat all the water as mash water?

My water report states both alkalinity (18.5ppm) and calcium (10ppm) are quite low with a pH of 7.6

Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been covered - but water treatment is new to me and I'm interested in treating the water for my BIAB brews.

For alkalinity it is mentioned that this should be different for mash and sparge water. In the case of BIAB should I just treat all the water as mash water?

My water report states both alkalinity (18.5ppm) and calcium (10ppm) are quite low with a pH of 7.6
The mash and sparge should be different because of the buffering effect of the grains in the mash. But aren't you doing a full volume mash with brew in a bag?

curtiskenny

Reaction score
The mash and sparge should be different because of the buffering effect of the grains in the mash. But aren't you doing a full volume mash with brew in a bag?

Yes, what's what I was trying to say - the whole of the water is being used for mash in BIAB. As there is no sparge should I be treating all the water to the required ppm level for mash?

Reaction score
Yes, what's what I was trying to say - the whole of the water is being used for mash in BIAB. As there is no sparge should I be treating all the water to the required ppm level for mash?
Then you will only have to treat the mash water.
If you want to keep water treatment simple only mash the base malt, and if you are using a flaked adjunct put that in a bag as well. The none fermentable grains steep separately. Either a cold or hot steep then add that liquor to the boil.
That way your water additions will always be in the same ball park. The only thing to remember is to take into account the steeping liquor, I know someone who didn't once.

Twogunrocky

Reaction score
strange-steve

Would you be so kind as to jot down a brief target water for a raspberry sour, as I'm unsure which to accentuate, the sulphate or chloride....
It's 3/2 pilsner malt/wheat malt & frozen raspberry addition.

Thanks very much

Reaction score
strange-steve

Would you be so kind as to jot down a brief target water for a raspberry sour, as I'm unsure which to accentuate, the sulphate or chloride....
It's 3/2 pilsner malt/wheat malt & frozen raspberry addition.

Thanks very much
I think Strange-Steve has taken a break from the forum maybe someone else can help you