Bentonite query

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cybershug

Reaction score
I have inadvertently stirred the bentonite and yeast at the same time with my 30 bottle kit. will it reach full fermentation. It is a wine expert world vinyard reisling. Thanks in advance.

As its not stabiliser I cannot see it doing any harm but you will need to get a replacement.

thank you Chippy_tea.
the fermentation is now bubbling away. I started it on Sunday evening. will it be ok now?
cybershug

It'll be fine, Stabiliser is the thing you need to be careful not to add at the beginning but even if you do (as i did recently) you can get round it and the wine will finish fermenting.

Belive it or not this in some circles is an accepted practice.!!
Your wine should be fine,As long as was just bentonite and contained NO sorbate

cheers guys. much appreciated
10ish fri evening. World vinyard riesling. looks superb. steady low 20° bubbling away. bit concerned few days ago.
(moral) after you did a wee bit of graft mixing bentonite. and there a grey colour at bottom of the vessel after adding. don't think there is something wrong. add yeast. do not stir.. end of.....

loving learning.

cybershug

latest update!
all went well with fermentation. racked to carboy day 14. I had a little taste at this point, (as you do) it was very nice indeed. a little bit of dryness, which I like. it was so nice, I was switherin whether to add the F pack at all. I decided to add as per instructions. almost 2 weeks later I had a little taster, as it was as clear as a bell. the wine is still good, but... I find it a little sweet TBH. And quite thick, I mean, not syrupy at all but not quite right. The question i would ask is; if i rack to another carboy and add a little water. ( 22 litres left of the 23L) how much should I add and what would be the effect on taste, ABV etc. this is my 4th kit. Thanks in advance people.

Latest posts

Back