Best position for Temperature sensor

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evanvine

Landlord.
Reaction score
If you have the sensor probe at the top of the HLT will the bottom be significantly cooler?
If you have the sensor probe at the bottom of the HLT will the top be significantly warmer?
Or does it not matter a damn as the circulating currents keep it all at the same temperature?

When I am heating upo my water I always drain off a couple of buckets and pour it back in at the top that way you break any thermoclines and get the hot water circulation around the whole hlt.

:cheers:

I hit the same issue, so mine dangles about 2/3 down roughly 2/3 away from element. I've checked and it seems to ballance out fine. Hopefully the element will induce a bit of circulation.

I forgot to put mine far enough down, so when I drained liquor for the mash and reheated for the sparge the liquor was nearly boiling doh. So it does need to be far enough down if you are themostatically controlling your temp.

Thanks for the replies gents :thumb:
By testing with near neutral bouyancy floaters, the water does circulate well!
So apart from level considerations, it doesn't seem to really matter where you put the sensor.

Latest posts

Back