Where best to place the PID thermostat?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats-the-joke-ranier-wolfcastle.gif
R u sure!

Why is the yellow line (kettle) so high and what is it measuring?
I think I can make a stab at that?

Kettle is seconding as "HLT" 'cos what else listed is heating the HERMS coil?

I'm quite impressed with what the graph is showing. I could only assume when I chose to sample temperature at the exit from the coil, but the graph shows I would be seriously exaggerating to think the entry to the coil would significantly lag behind.

The exit might be the best place if attempting to step up the temperature (exit temperature would be best at controlling the temperature), but the entry temperature would be best to confirm temperature has stabilised (entry temperature would be best for monitoring the temperature). Taking the temperature direct from the stodgy mash is likely to be somewhat random.

I remember when you started this project (last year). I think I'm being consistent with my response now as back then?

The exit might be the best place if attempting to step up the temperature (exit temperature would be best at controlling the temperature), but the entry temperature would be best to confirm temperature has stabilised (entry temperature would be best for monitoring the temperature). Taking the temperature direct from the stodgy mash is likely to be somewhat random.

Good points, it should be easy to try both and see which gives the best result.

I remember when you started this project (last year). I think I'm being consistent with my response now as back then?
Yes I have had some time away from brewing but got the bug again now, I have not been able to locate that old thread to check what was decided, though I guess I haven't spent sufficient time searching.

If you checkout TETBs brewday thread and his latest post (#202) you can see his HERMS set up (that I’ve copied). Right at the back you’ll see a “kettle”. That is used to heat the water circulating in the counterflow heat exchange. The reheated wort temperature is taken as it returns to the mash tun (wortometer).
Why the grain bottom should be 0.1C hotter than the top where the reheated wort is returning, is not clear. Could be just a tolerance/calibration thing? Still 0.1C between bottom and top is impressive 👍🏻

Yes @Buffers brewery described it correctly: the kettle temp is the temperature of the water entering the jacket of the counterflow...

The photo of the kit is a bit confusing so it might be easier to see what's going on from a system diagram:
1685811338556.png

During the mash taps A, B and D are closed.
For the sparge I close tap C, open tap A and then balance taps B and D (runoff)

It's not essential but it makes it react faster to changes in temp and can also help stop it falling out accidentally athumb..

This is the sort of stuff to use - you don't need to use much

Amazon.co.uk

View attachment 86491
thermal pastes like that are normally used for CPU coolers where you want to really maximise the heat transfer. For just having a temperature probe, I'm sure any grease/paste will be just as quick (I have just dribbled water into mine as it's more conductive than air) but a cheap poor man's solution is to get any powdered metal (aluminium) and mix it into vaseline or any other grease you have

thermal pastes like that are normally used for CPU coolers where you want to really maximise the heat transfer. For just having a temperature probe, I'm sure any grease/paste will be just as quick (I have just dribbled water into mine as it's more conductive than air) but a cheap poor man's solution is to get any powdered metal (aluminium) and mix it into vaseline or any other grease you have
Heh I have loads of old tubes of heatsink paste in my toolbox, but no powdered aluminium! athumb..

For guitars, we make nut sauce*. Grind a lead pencil into vaseline and smear it in the nut groove for the string to move around in easily.

Would any kind of metal filings work?

*heh

For guitars, we make nut sauce*. Grind a lead pencil into vaseline and smear it in the nut groove for the string to move around in easily.

Would any kind of metal filings work?

*heh
As long as they are thermally conductive, I'm sure it would.

Latest posts

Back