Best way to get a 40l bin

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanmac

Reaction score
Hi guys, this is my first post here, and after many kit brews, I want to move up into all grain brewing. For my own reasons, I think I will definitely be best to start with the brew in a bag method.

Like many others on here, the hardest part of getting started is equipment.

I am wanting to make my own boiler out of a tub and tesco value kettle elements by following the guide on this board, as i think it will definitely be more cost effective and easier for me than using a stock pot.

My biggest problem, which I know people on here must have found a solution to, is where to get a bucket the right size. I am wanting to be able to do 5 gallon brews in it, therefore I feel that I would be most comfortable with around a 40 litre bucket or bigger. The problem is that 33l seems to be the easiest size to get, and I think this could result in a mess.

So I was looking for any tips peaople may have to obtain a 40l or bigger bucket. Wether mayonnaise tubs from a restaurant, mango chutne wholesale, plastic manufacturer, diy shop etc. any tips would be appreciated!!

Thanks

Sean

Hi Sean, I used a 33L for 23L brewlengths with no problem, if memory serves I tended to need about 26/27L of preboil wort and never came to grief. Brewing a 46L brew in a 60L is a bit tighter and I have been cought out by the speed of the foam rising a couple of times my own fault really by pushing my luck , with two elements its fairly easy to control you just get used to your set up.....or not :oops:
cheers Dan :cheers:

Thanks very much for your replies.

That makes me less worried, and i cant wait to get to work builder my boiler.

Is there any other tips that you guys think are essential to know that I might not have come across? I have read the thread about building a boiler with the tesco element many times!

Also, what is the best way to stop the bag coming into contact with the element? Is the key just to make a bag that fits snugly, or use a pot stand type thing in the botton of the bucket?

Cheers

I use a grilling stand out of a microwave combi oven. It was lying in the cupboard , hadn't been used so I thought just trim an inch or so off the legs and it will be perfect.
Make sure you take the copper discs off the electric side of the element.I had a nightmare on sat when trying to bring temp up after mashing .I could hear the water boiling under the bag , but the temp at the top of the grain was only 70 . All of a sudden click click, both elements tripped.I had to put the wort into another container then strip the elements out . Both were blackened. I thought I was going to have to buy new kettles , panic stations ,I can't remember where I bought them and some posts refer to newer kettles being slightly larger in diameter.
Anyway I noticed the discs and someone mentioned removing them, so I tried one assembled it and dropped it into a jug of water .Bingo it worked. I gave them a good clean and managed to save the day.

Thanks for the tips! Ill make sure to take the copper disks out ian!

I am using the latest Tesco Value kettle, so does anyone know what 'hotplug it is best to buy. Is it C15, C13 or do I not need one at all?

Cheers

Latest posts

Back