BIAB - Numpty Questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good spot - I missed that it's 30L and not 35.
Suppose it all depends on your batch sizes really. I could probably get away with a 30 litre kettle as i usually discard a few litrs once the corny keg is full and I know a lot of people bottle whatever doesn’t fit into the kegs but i don’t bother so i could maybe brew smaller batches and get away with it.

Suppose it all depends on your batch sizes really. I could probably get away with a 30 litre kettle as i usually discard a few litrs once the corny keg is full and I know a lot of people bottle whatever doesn’t fit into the kegs but i don’t bother so i could maybe brew smaller batches and get away with it.
Just read it again and it’s conflicting mate, the description says 30ltrs but the verbiage states 35ltrs???

Thanks. Does the basket sit on a ridge somewhere in the main vessel to allow it to be lifted up but supported, or will it need an external support / pulley /hook type setup?
This is something I am wondering about too. I assume the basket needs to be flush with my digiboil 35L or grains will overflow into the boiler.

I recently tried ordering a bespoke grain basket that would do this an was quoted £140. If there is something else out there for a lot less that will do the job, I'd be inclined to buy.

This is something I am wondering about too. I assume the basket needs to be flush with my digiboil 35L or grains will overflow into the boiler.

I recently tried ordering a bespoke grain basket that would do this an was quoted £140. If there is something else out there for a lot less that will do the job, I'd be inclined to buy.
This is what I have: DigiMash Upgrade Kit for 35L DigiBoil

There is a metal ridge that goes around the inside at the top of the boiler the basket will sit on when removed. When in use there is a bottom plate placed in the boiler. This is also meshed so will potentially also remove any grain that gets out of the basket. Naturally this may result in some dead space and a loss of some wort (I tend to tip my boiler anyway after boiling so it's not something I'm concerned about yet). Not tried with a brew but it all goes together nicely and easily comes in and out. Only complaint I'd have is the handle to pull the basket out could be slightly wider to fit the holes better (removable handle). I think @jayk34 has this setup (apologies if I have tagged the wrong person) and may be able to say how it has been working.

There is a metal ridge that goes around the inside at the top of the boiler the basket will sit on when removed. When in use there is a bottom plate placed in the boiler. This is also meshed so will potentially also remove any grain that gets out of the basket. Naturally this may result in some dead space and a loss of some wort (I tend to tip my boiler anyway after boiling so it's not something I'm concerned about yet). Not tried with a brew but it all goes together nicely and easily comes in and out. Only complaint I'd have is the handle to pull the basket out could be slightly wider to fit the holes better (removable handle). I think @jayk34 has this setup (apologies if I have tagged the wrong person) and may be able to say how it has been working.
I have a helix coil attached to the tap. I am guessing that would have to come out, in order for the false bottom to sit flush/properly in place?

Bloke I got the Digiboil from said the helix coil was enough to stop hop debris and he was right. Only problem is, it gets so gunged up, the wort won't drain out. I had to buy a hop spider. Now it drains fine but there is still a lot of gunk on the helix coil when emptied. I'm concerned that without it, the opening of the tap will get gunged up instead.

I have a helix coil attached to the tap. I am guessing that would have to come out, in order for the false bottom to sit flush/properly in place?

Bloke I got the Digiboil from said the helix coil was enough to stop hop debris and he was right. Only problem is, it gets so gunged up, the wort won't drain out. I had to buy a hop spider. Now it drains fine but there is still a lot of gunk on the helix coil when emptied. I'm concerned that without it, the opening of the tap will get gunged up instead.
I'll have a look later and measure the length of the legs of the stand plate that sits on the bottom. The mesh holes on the basket seems to be quite fine, and the plate holes are also fairly fine so I'm presuming I won't need a helix coil. I have always used a hop spider so gunk from that has never been an issue. The bag I used was great at keeping alot of gunk in, however I guess I will have more trub with the new setup, thus probably best to not tip the boiler when transferring, thus I should think about that dead space before calculating my next brew🤔

I bought a decent bag for it but I still find myself tilting the boiler near the end of transfer, like you. I also completely empty the boiler into a measuring jug and add that to the FV. Perhaps I am overthinking it and it'll be grand.

I bought a decent bag for it but I still find myself tilting the boiler near the end of transfer, like you. I also completely empty the boiler into a measuring jug and add that to the FV. Perhaps I am overthinking it and it'll be grand.
So, the bottom plate legs are about 3.5cm tall. Both the bottom plate and the grain basket plates have holes with a diameter around 2mm. Some pics below. Guess your helix will fit fine below the plate.

I always create my recipies for around 14l thinking I will lose a 1l to the boiler (trub). However, at the end of every brew I find it hard to leave that behind so I typically tip the boiler to take most of it. I'm 20 brews in and still can't decide if I should stop at tap level....after fermenting I end up leaving a fair bit of trub in the FV and can never decide if alot of that is what I transferred 🤣. I will measure the vol of liquid below tap level next brew day and maybe leave that behind. Brews are fine so I'm fairly confident it makes no difference to my beer🤔. 🍻🍻

So, the bottom plate legs are about 3.5cm tall. Both the bottom plate and the grain basket plates have holes with a diameter around 2mm. Some pics below. Guess your helix will fit fine below the plate.

I always create my recipies for around 14l thinking I will lose a 1l to the boiler (trub). However, at the end of every brew I find it hard to leave that behind so I typically tip the boiler to take most of it. I'm 20 brews in and still can't decide if I should stop at tap level....after fermenting I end up leaving a fair bit of trub in the FV and can never decide if alot of that is what I transferred 🤣. I will measure the vol of liquid below tap level next brew day and maybe leave that behind. Brews are fine so I'm fairly confident it makes no difference to my beer🤔. 🍻🍻
Pics...doh!!

Attachments

• IMG_20230101_200144_127.jpg
    IMG_20230101_200144_127.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230101_200138_970.jpg
    IMG_20230101_200138_970.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230101_200100_570.jpg
    IMG_20230101_200100_570.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230101_200053_267.jpg
    IMG_20230101_200053_267.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for the info, mate. Appreciate it. I'm always left with a minimum of 2L that won't drain. I calculate my brews to leave 20L of wort in total so that I will get close to 19L for the corny, after fermentation. I think regardless, you will end up with at least a litre of trub in the FV.

Yes I did have this setup and it's the same as the brewzilla 3 setup where you add a retaining metal ring (halo) around the top of the Digiboil and the grain basket rests on this during sparge. Done a few brews with it and didn't have any issues. I have since moved onto using the Digiboil as a HLT and invested in the brewzilla gen4 35l

Now in possession of what all the bits I need need and have my CML kit all plugged into Brewfather.

To check, as I'm doing no sparge BIAB do I need to remove the malt/mash pipe or can I put the bag and grains into the pipe?

Any guidance is hugely appreciated.

Kind regards
Martyn

Now in possession of what all the bits I need need and have my CML kit all plugged into Brewfather.

To check, as I'm doing no sparge BIAB do I need to remove the malt/mash pipe or can I put the bag and grains into the pipe?

Any guidance is hugely appreciated.

Kind regards
Martyn
Well i had an issue with my last brew in that I used a malt pipe for the 1st time in my Klarstein mash kettle. Ended up with a blocked bazooka filter and it was a right pain to sort out, so for my next brew I’m going to try putting a BIAB bag over the malt pipe in an attempt to act as a sort of filter.

So the bag goes over the malt pipe and then into the mash kettle and the grains will go into the malt pipe. That’s my two penne that worth anyway, might not suit you or anyone else but this is what i intend to try and i honestly can’t see any issues with it.

I put a bag inside the malt pipe as I had a blocked pump on my brewzilla without it. Haven't had an issue lately using the bag as well as the malt pipe

Latest posts

Back