BIAB sweet chocolate stout recipe - what do you think

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trom-man

Reaction score
Trying this on my BIAB rig - 100 litre SS pot from the malt miller :thumb:

74 litres H2O

maris otter 8kg
dark crystal 720 grams
chocolate malt 700 grams

target hops 70 grams @ 90 mins
40 grams @ 15 mins

addition

goldern syrup 454 grams X2 @ 15 mins
torrified wheat 500grms @ mash
lactose 500grams @ 15 mins
cocoa nibs 200 grams @ 15 mins

nottingham ale yeast

mash for 90 mins @ 65oC

boil for 90 mins

OG 1048
FG 1012

any advice before I cause a disaster!!

looks solid. only thing to think about is mash temp. if you want it a little malty maybe go for 67ish and it will have a dry finish at 65.

good luck with it!

Any addition of horrified wheat is too much. Devils toenail clippings. Wheat malt is much better, but why aren't you using flaked barley that is traditional in stout. And secondly why isn't this horrified wheat not being mashed?

I would as previously sugested mash at 67c.

Finally I wouldn't use target at anyless than 90mins it is the thug of the brewing world. Not pleasant for aroma.
:thumb:

+1

graysalchemy said:
Any addition of horrified wheat is too much. Devils toenail clippings. Wheat malt is much better, but why aren't you using flaked barley that is traditional in stout. And secondly why isn't this horrified wheat not being mashed?

I would as previously sugested mash at 67c.

Finally I wouldn't use target at anyless than 90mins it is the thug of the brewing world. Not pleasant for aroma.
:thumb:

advise taken

trying this weekend with flaked barley and hops @ 90 mins

wish me luck!!!!

If you're using Nottingham (from what I've read) you'll get a slightly lower FG than what you estimated... although mashing at a higher temp may push the FG a little higher - I think....! :hmm:

If you want a sweet stout avoid adding sugar (or Golden Syrup) as it will dry the beer out. . . . I'd avoid the lactose addition as well, it doesn't taste 'sweet' . . . Your Dark Crystal / Roast Barley additions will give you more than enough 'nonfermentables' coupled with a slightly higher (67/68C) mash temp to provide plenty of residual chewiness and 'sweetness'

Everything went well - just bottled as no fermentation for one week. OG was 1044 and final was 1020 which is no where near where I thought it would be - is this down to the lactose being residual in the beer and therefore if so how do you know what the alcohol content is???? :wha: :wha:
Any advice much welcomed

Yes, as lactose is a non fermentable sugar it will raise the FG. Was the gravity constant for 3 days before you bottled?

You calculate the alcohol in the same way from the OG and FG. The forum calculator gives it as 3.2% which sounds low to me.

Yes - the gravity did stay the same for one week. Can't understand why the FG is so high? all other brews have been fine and reached the OG and FG I have been working to. Maybe just the joy of homebrewing :lol:

why have I got such a low alcohol content with the large amount of grain and therefore sugars to ferment - surely my extraction of sugars should have been higher - I did a BIAB and used a fine crush (malt miller special!!) Any ideas on why this could have occured?
:?:

60 litres - tapped into 2 X 25 litre cubes and remaining into small bucket.

everything went to plan - after fermentation bottled into 500ml bottles and capped

on bottling tasted a little bitter but I have read on the forum that this will reduce over time

Latest posts

Back