BIAB timings

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gazkilla

A hoppy middle aged man
Reaction score
I'm just going through a few recipes with Beersmith2 and I was always under the impression that you put the grains in for 90mins at 65-67c but I've noticed with some recipes that its only 75min. Would this be because it was originally designed for a 3 vessel system and this doesn't get changed when I put in My Equipment with BIAB settings? Would my efficiency be greatly improved if I went for the whole 90min followed by 10min at 76c? :wha:

60 minutes is ample for the vast majority of brews, most of the conversion is completed in the first 20 minutes. I would only go above 60 for more complicated mash schedules / decotions or if using under modified malt

I've always done either 90 minute mash or overnight. I think a 90 minute mash is preferred for good efficiency. It's still quicker than 3V brewing as you don't need to do a separate sparge.

ok,so there's no harm in going for the full 90min as it would improve my efficiency. I'd rather overdo it to get as much out of the grains as poss then be wary of under doing it...

You need at least 90 mins for a BIAB. I sometimes push it to 3 hours if I'm not getting the gravity I want... Normally it's 90 + 10 mins mashout though.

On my last brew I mashed for 130 minutes instead mof my usual 90 minutes. I got the highest efficiency I've ever acheived. This could have been for some other reason, I suppose, but I certainly would go for 90 minutes and also reaheat to 75C as a mashout, stirring as you heat. This seems to get more of the sugars out. Doing this I find that I get consistency and predictability in my brewing, so when I start a brew I can be reasonably sure of the OG I wil get at the end. I also sparge :oops: I shall go pray to the BIAB Gods for absolution.

Duxuk said:
I also sparge :oops: I shall go pray to the BIAB Gods for absolution.

There is nothing wrong with a wee BIAB sparge! I don't just because I'm really lazy and I can't be bothered reworking all my mash volumes!! :lol:

calumscott said:
You need at least 90 mins for a BIAB. I sometimes push it to 3 hours if I'm not getting the gravity I want... Normally it's 90 + 10 mins mashout though.

Ok, 90 min minimum it is then.

Not sure if I've gone in at the deep end with my 1st BIAB this weekend,was going to do that one in your tut Callum,but I thought I'd have a go at a Speckled Hen as I've gone through the process that many times in my head,its just a case of putting it into practice now :)

In the brew it says that the first hops to be put in at 60min,should this be at the start to get most of the Alpha acids out as it doesn't seem long enough for me. Assuming that the 1st hops are for bitterness. (Spreadsheet below)

Also it doesn't have Irish moss/finings in it,is this just a personal choice or is it wise to put some in on every brew?

speckled_zpsb1d4d05a.png

calumscott said:

Sorry, I totally disagree with you.
I appreciate you happily use 90min+ mashes, but to state "you need at least 90mins" is just not true, I, along with many, many others use 60 minute mashes successfully. I regularly achieve 75%+ efficiency with this method.

Awolphotography said:
calumscott said:

Sorry, I totally disagree with you.
I appreciate you happily use 90min+ mashes, but to state "you need at least 90mins" is just not true, I, along with many, many others use 60 minute mashes successfully. I regularly achieve 75%+ efficiency with this method.
Agreed 90 minutes is not required. If that's how you want to do it I'm not going to tell you otherwise, however I mash for an hour and and always get good results. Unless you're heating the mash, the temperature drop is going to cause problems with the enzymes creating simpler sugars resulting in a thinner beer.

Isn't most of the conversion done in the first 30 mins? Just wondering as I've forgotten my mash for 3-4 hours and haven't had much difference such as thinner beer. That being said I do it in 45mins now when I remember ;)

The boil time is given as 90 minutes, so it's telling you to boil for 30 minutes, then add the bittering hops. Many brewers use first wort hopping. Adding the first hops to the runnings from the mash, then heating and boiling. Others add the bittering hops for 90 minutes and the rest according to the recipe. Basically it's up to you. You may see a graph on the forum from time to time showing AA isomerisation versus boil time. It suggests that the difference between 60 and 90 minutes is tiny. Most of the isomerisation, which gives the bitterness, has already happend after 60 minutes.
The 90 minute boil is to get a "hot break". Not sure this is as relevant to BIAB. The way to get a clear brew is to definitely use Irish Moss or similar. I use a teaspoon of flakes somewhere in the range of 20 to 10 minutes of boil time remaining.
I boil for 60 minutes. I'm a very happy brewer (and even happier drinker :cheers: )

Ok,thanks Andrew.I think I'll sit on the fence and add them after 15 min :D The moss is on order :thumb:

What yeast would experienced brewers recommend with this brew? I have Safale s-04, Nottingham(Danstar) ,Winsdor(Danstar) and Gervin GV12 available in me yeast box :)

Latest posts

Back