Bit of a rant

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get what people are saying about people not voting not having the right to criticize the government but the current system is not fair meaning in certain parts of the country voting is pointless other than for a protest, Thatcher screwed us here by moving us into Cumbria from Lancashire we still have a LA postcode.

Last edited:
If you dont vote you cant complain when they screw you over !

The system is all wrong , but it wont change as the turkeys wont vote for christmas.

The people need to have the power to sack their MP, between elections, If they fail to support their electorate. The current system has no solid threat to them or their pensions once elected.
Yes, via the power of recall

Do the folks in power expect me to take climate change seriously, short answer is no i won't. Just done a completely random google
Does Poland still mine coal?

Poland also remains the largest producer of coal in the EU, and accounts for nearly 97 per cent of 'hard coal' mining in the entire bloc. Its schedule to close down its remaining mines is due to be completed only in 2049. In the EU, Poland is second only to Germany and Italy in terms of total annual emissions.27 Sept 2023. How the feck is the EU going to be carbon neutral by 2050 mean while over in India

India Coal​

Summary Table​

i have one life and i am going to live it how i want, if they want me to take seriously what they say they better start being serious with these countrys and that includes China. right rant over time for a beer while i watch utd beat city
TonsGlobal Rank
107,726,551,7005th in the world
761,662,0382nd in the world
966,288,6932nd in the world
Yearly Deficit​
Coal Imports​
Coal Exports​

This is very sad. You might argue with the effectiveness or fairness of the way governments try to deal with the issue, but climate change is not a joke. Very far from it.

It is also sad that people believe that nothing changes, they are all the same, etc. You might not be impressed by Starmer, but I find it hard to imagine a different government could be as bad as this one.

NHS waiting lists - just one example of how governments change things:
View attachment 96489
Is there one for wales that would be a good control example as we have had labour in power in the assembly for ages?

That screenshot doesnt say what is being waited for. If more procedures can be carried out on the NHS without funding for them that could explain the graph. So minor vs major surgery. Also if detection of illness has increased without cash to do anything about it. Equally if many procedures are now NOT on the Nhs that makes the graph even worse. If screening was reduced maybe the waiting list would be smaller but patients presenting as a more serious stage of illness/disease.

As a thought experiement lets say everyone was tested for heart disease. the findings were that 80% of the population had 10%+ narrowing of arteries. but they also found 30% of people were 50% blocked. - put them on a waiting list. There is a waiting list of around a year for bypass surgery. I was 95% blocked and went to the top of the queue. Now at 50% blocked how long can you expect to survive with that condition and with no infinite resources should more money be spent on getting all the 50% ers done? or should some go to cancer treatment/screening.

What about hip replacements? - lower risk of death due to this condition but extended pain and suffering over a longer period of time whilst waiting for an op.

So now we could have a situation where to fiddle the figures you perhaps don't treat some people because they are likely to die of a cardiac event if not operated on vs getting someone off a long wait on the waiting list.

A wise old CE I worked for once theorized 'smokers help the NHS' because then, they generally presented late with lung cancer and died quickly. Having paid a lot of tax on their tobacco.

This doesn't even address the fairness of treatment of young vs old. The rights of those who have had a long life vs the rights of those yet to have that life. If cardio screening was done widely think of how many younger sports players could be saved by sudden death on the pitch, yet they would require extra resources to cope of resource re-allocation. There are a lot more de-fibrillators around the place so that's good, but maybe its we can't afford mass screening and we can only deal with the symptom not the cause?

Last edited:
This is very sad. You might argue with the effectiveness or fairness of the way governments try to deal with the issue, but climate change is not a joke. Very far from it.

It is also sad that people believe that nothing changes, they are all the same, etc. You might not be impressed by Starmer, but I find it hard to imagine a different government could be as bad as this one.

NHS waiting lists - just one example of how governments change things:
View attachment 96489
What has changed is the increasing aging population, they have been kept alive longer in the past 20 years, which puts a tremendous strain on the health service. Keeping people alive doesn't keep them well.
Lack of staffing is another issue, we have more UK trained doctors and nurses you could poke a stick at in the health system over here in Australia. And even with a depleting population in the UK the populace seems averse to immigrants entering the country.

What has changed is the increasing aging population, they have been kept alive longer in the past 20 years, which puts a tremendous strain on the health service. Keeping people alive doesn't keep them well.
Lack of staffing is another issue, we have more UK trained doctors and nurses you could poke a stick at in the health system over here in Australia. And even with a depleting population in the UK the populace seems averse to immigrants entering the country.
what you say is true. A friends daughter is close to completing her med training . Its expected expect that over 80% of her univrsity intake will move to work abroad as the pay and conditions outside the UK reflect the effort it took to qualify.

Returning to the original question about climate change. I think governments do know it is real and important. The problem is that in order to address the problem some unpopular decisions will need to be made. As a result they duck these questions because they are more interested in their popularity and remaining in power than trying to save the planet. The more unpopular the decisions the less likely a government is to take them. Hence, in Poland which has for a long time been heavily dependent on coal, nothing is done because it will be deeply unpopular. It will only be when the effects of climate change become so drastic and potentially destabilising that they will do something because the consequences of not doing anything will be less popular than doing something. Unfortunately, by that time we will be well and truly screwed!

Returning to the original question about climate change. I think governments do know it is real and important. The problem is that in order to address the problem some unpopular decisions will need to be made. As a result they duck these questions because they are more interested in their popularity and remaining in power than trying to save the planet. The more unpopular the decisions the less likely a government is to take them. Hence, in Poland which has for a long time been heavily dependent on coal, nothing is done because it will be deeply unpopular. It will only be when the effects of climate change become so drastic and potentially destabilising that they will do something because the consequences of not doing anything will be less popular than doing something. Unfortunately, by that time we will be well and truly screwed!
If global warming is a threat and if the change below is heading our way.... Will they cancel each other out will they both remain or neither?

If I was an elite i'd certainly want robots and AI to take up the slack....

The planet has been heating and cooling for billions of years. It’s a normal cycle. No need to ban cows and turf.

The planet has been heating and cooling for billions of years. It’s a normal cycle. No need to ban cows and turf.

global-warming-future-timeline.jpg

Sorry,that's not factual,it's a scare mongering drawing for want of a better description. It's what could,might or might not happen.
Yeah,it's probably "based on trends". What ,as suggested ,does the trend look like going back 100 million years? After all we're not yet conditioned to drinking cows milk.
Like those' global warming ' news reels on "flooding "...where the houses are built on flood plains.

Now there's the truth! We ARE ALL DEFINITELY GOING TO DIE.
In the meantime I'm going to hold out working for the biggest sack of bastards as long as I can.
Along the way I shall thank whatever God is trending for my meagre existence and drink lots of beer and eat what I like.
That's the spirit Clint.

The more you think of things the more you realise we are controlled by master deceivers.
You can't make a difference for yourself or for the future of anyone except THEM by doing what they say.
LIVE YOUR LIFE.

Sorry,that's not factual,it's a scare mongering drawing for want of a better description. It's what could,might or might not happen.
Yeah,it's probably "based on trends". What ,as suggested ,does the trend look like going back 100 million years? After all we're not yet conditioned to drinking cows milk.
Like those' global warming ' news reels on "flooding "...where the houses are built on flood plains.
I accept the point that this is not necessarily verified and so should be viewed with caution. However, I am a scientist and over the years have learned that scientists with expertise in a particular field usually speak something that approximates to the reality. The overwhelming consensus among climate scientists is that we are facing a considerable and damaging change in our climate that has its roots in human activity. Given the potential consequences of an irreversible change in the climate and the consensus that something along those lines is possible/likely, I think it is in our own interest and that of future generations to take this seriously and do what we can to ameliorate the situation and we should expect our Government to act similarly.

Latest posts

Back