Bitten off more than i can chew?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumpton

Regular.
Reaction score
Well had a long days work, came home working 2hours more than i should... Decided to prep for a bit of brewing and also to bottle my Coopers Brewmaster Irish Stout which had finished fermenting.
I lookforward to this brew as i did it with a little Black treacle and substituted the sugar with Dark malt extract.

All going good thus far! :pray:

I began washing all of my bottles..enough for 13 litres of stout and all the others i own. I did usual wash sterilise and rise.
I then sealed all the bottles into a largeplastic container.

So.. on to the bottling, I Put 10 litres into easy kegs and this is where disaster number one started! my little bottler tip fell into my easy keg which was already 3/4 full!

I thought stuff it I aint risking the brew so will just wait until the keg is done.

I bottled the reaminder without too many problems.

I should have at this point stopped!! :?

Instead I then decided to sterilse 2 more fermenting bins... and get 2 brews going.

All was going well, decided to brew a Coopers Dark Ale with half malt extract and half brewing sugar. did the usual mixing adding water and stirring, when i checked the OG the reading was 1036 which i thought was way too low.. OMG I didnt put the half bag of sugar in!!!

Luckily I didnt hang about and got on the case.

I should again have stopped at this point!!

I then however decided to brew the Mexican Cerveza kit whichwas sat in the boiling water softening!

I useda new fermenter here and after mixing and pitching the yeast sealed up and the airlock doesnt look anywhere near as airtight as my coopers vessel.

I justhope all goes well and will keep u posted!

:cheers:

Yeah I know I only sat down half hour ago!!

:shock:

and was up at 7am lol!

:drink:

pah! Lie-in! I was up at 5:30am this morning, and tonight finished bottling the wine and put it all away, just in time to grab a beer and sit down at 11pm :roll: :drink:

Thank people, hope you are right with this!
Had some successes so hopefully these are too :pray:

Currently drinking: :drink:

Coopers Aussie Pale Ale
StPeters RubyRed Ale
Coopers Aussie Lager

Conditioning: Brewmaster Stout withBlack Treacle & DME
FV1: Mexican Cerveza
FV2: Coopers Dark Ale

I forgot the sugar in one of my kits and didn't realise till after I'd pitched the yeast. Put it in carefully and stirred even more carefully. Fermented fine!

plumpton said:
So.. on to the bottling, I Put 10 litres into easy kegs and this is where disaster number one started! my little bottler tip fell into my easy keg which was already 3/4 full!

I've managed to do this twice...yes twice .. I didn't learn from my mistake first time! The beer both times was fine and I just retrieved it after drinking the beer. I no longer use the little bottler for easy kegs. Instead I just run a length of siphon tubing from the bottling bucket tap and make sure it sits in the bottom of the keg and turn on the tap till it looks about an inch or so from the top. Then when I want to fill bottles I remove the siphon tubing and fit the little bottler...job done!

evanvine said:
plumpton said:
my little bottler tip fell into my easy keg which was already 3/4 full!
Rinse hand and arm under tap, plunge in, retrieve tip, carry on! :D

An easy keg is one of these. The hole ain't large! :)

The Dark ale is coming thru the airlock :lol:

I cleaned out reattached and seems to have settled if it keeps misbehaving im going to have to use syphon tube in pint of water trick.

:?

:drunk:

Back