bittering hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
apart from the obvious alpha content in relation to how bitter hops are, what is the reasoning behind using different hops right from the beginning of the boil? do you get some properties even when boiled for 90 mins like floral and or grassy or whatever the characteristic of the hop is? i understand using different hops from 30 mins down to dry hopping a beer, i have made ag brews but to be honest i only pick hops for the bittering on the alpha content not the other characteristics

The longer they are in the boil the more of their aromas boil off. So at the start of a 90 minute boil the aroma characters have the least impact, but as the time decreases the importance of those aromas increase.

Some styles of beer use just a single bittering addition - for example some versions of Irish Red, some Stouts, Australian Pale Ales, American "Pilseners" , Corona :twisted: and the different hops impart different hop characteristics, despite the long boil. As an Aussie brewer I occasionally do a Coopers-style Sparkling Ale using yeast recultured from Coopers bottled beer, and bittered with one addition of Pride of Ringwood flowers. Anything else just wouldn't work. For a relation who loves Corona I do a fake Corona using Galena hops, and for an Irish Red I do a single addition of Admiral - and all strikingly different hop character.

Thought I would sneak a question onto this post regarding bittering hops

Someone I am working with regarding an event to happen next year works for a major hop supplier and very kindly donated 2 large carrier bags of hops to me :thumb:

1 bag is 2011 season Goldings and the other Admiral, both from local farms.

Does anybody have a good recipe for these?

I like my beer hoppy and the Admiral is a stonking 15.6%. However my drinking buddies probably wont want to go much over 35-40IBU

Any sugestions greatly received

Thanks

Chrisp

Latest posts

Back