Bitterness

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baz Chaz

Landlord.
Reaction score
Morning everyone

Just seen that Doom Bar is the most popular cask ale in the UK has an IBU of 22

Looking back through my brew book, the last 8 brews I've done the highest IBU is 45 and the lowest is 35 (actual average is 42)

Comments in 'the brew book' is that the Citra at 35 was actually the most popular!

Next brew is going to be a Wheat Beer, then after that think I may well have a look at something with a low bitterness, are tastes changing perhaps?

hmmm, well perhaps Doom Bar is so popular because it is owned by Molson Coors and so pushed out as a cask ale at all of their awful pubs and been dumbed down so as to make it easy for staff without any interest in cask ale to keep and dare I say it, the low IBU could be to target non bitter drinkers. I would not say it's popularity is indicative of it's quality, but perhaps I am being a snob. :laugh8:
Looking at my brews (okay so I am only on number 10 but nevertheless) I have 1 SMASH at IBU 21 which was rather boring, all the rest are between 31 for a Blonde and Old Hooky which are far from Bitter, through 39 for my Best Bitter to 56 for my IPA.

Back