black beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Dub

Reaction score
Evening

Fancy brewing an IPA of some description and disguising it as a dark beer without the dark beer flavours.

Before you ask why, its to settle a disagreement with some mates who dont brew but like supping my home brew when its of the blonde/pale type and reckon dark beers are for old men!

I want to brew my usual pale ale and stick some black malt in but are unsure if this will effect taste?

What do you reckon

If you want a black beer without the roast flavours avoid Black malt like the plague!!

The ideal grain to use is Weyermann Carafa Special III which is a dehusked roast malt, you get all the colouring without the massive roast malt flavours.

Another alternative is to use the cold steep method with Black Malt. use 3 times the black malt called for in the recipe, mix it with COLD water and leave for 16 hours. Drain off the liquor into the boiler along with the wort from the mash tun. . . . hey presto Dark Beer!

Supposedly you can use black malt, you add it to the mash for the last 10 minutes to give you the colour but not too much flavour. Or just use Carafa as has already been said.

Before you ask why, its to settle a disagreement with some mates who dont brew but like supping my home brew when its of the blonde/pale type and reckon dark beers are for old men!
TBH, rather than use your own time it may be easier to buy some bottled versions of black beers/lagers. Sam Adams and xingu can be relatively easily found, xingu in Tescos.
It's hard to impart colour without taste from dark malts and most recipes will call for a mixture of crystal, roast and black which will invariably add some roast notes, hence buying some may be easier :roll:
If you're determined to make your own, don't let me put you off :grin:

Thanks for replies

I fancy aleman's cold steeping technique so will report back on findings.

The anti dark beer brigade are southern jessies who like there beers blonde and fruity :roll: so i will bring out the blonde fruity ale hopefully disguised as a blackun and prove that dark ales can be quality(although cheating and not a proper mans ale)

cheers

Back