Black IPA recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
robsan77 said:
smdjoachim said:
add the dark malts to the mash 15mins before you start sparging .you get the colour with the minimum of roastyness

Another 2 year floater, first time poster.

Rob
kissass.gif

yanks also call it cascadian ale dont they?? +1 for the use of caraffa special 2 or 3 also, brupacks sell it, think they get it like all their hops from charles farams

critch said:
yanks also call it cascadian ale dont they?? +1 for the use of caraffa special 2 or 3 also, brupacks sell it, think they get it like all their hops from charles farams

Yep. Cascadian Dark Ale. The point was just to make a black version of a West Coast IPA (I'll just point out the proper style before Aleman jumps on me ;) ). No roasty taste is needed. Hence the Carafa Special 3.

In the UK though as it's a new style it's pretty much open to interpretation but the Thornbridge Raven and the Kernel Black IPA are seen as the representatives of it. I don't think Raven uses Special 3 though, think it uses roast barley. Can't comment on the mash schedule for that one.

Cascadian, yes, it is a pretty new style full stop if BYO magazine is to be believed. There are BJCP guidelines in that article should anybody care.

Cleary a black beer isn't pale but I think the idea was to give you an idea of what it would taste like, as many people would expect that a dark ale would probably taste rather different to an IPA. Now the style has a name there is no need to offend the IPA purist.

Isn't the India in IPA to an extent originally a marketing thing anyway? I think from memory of reading Martin Cornell that they were initially just called pale ales and not IPAs for quite some time..

TheMumbler said:
Isn't the India in IPA to an extent originally a marketing thing anyway? I think from memory of reading Martin Cornell that they were initially just called pale ales and not IPAs for quite some time..
IIRC it was originally a pale ale brewed under contract to the East India Company, by a London brewer (damned if I can remember the brewery though)

Seems to me that Black IPA is yet another sign of the American Bastardisation of the worlds heritage, personally I feel we should be jumping on these damned colonial upstarts when they come up with a 'new' beer style . . . What do they know about our beers anyway . . .Most that they get over there are old and tired by the time they get to drink them. Ant Hayes proved this when he took some examples of Brown Ale to the NHC to persuade the BJCP that their definition of English Brown Ale was a little 'inaccurate'.

Obviously the name has its origins in export to India, I forget the initial brewer as well :) it was an accident of convenient placement for export IIRC. However I don't think (and I could be very wrong) that there is any substantive evidence that the beer started out being anything other than a pale ale for keeping that happened to be exported to India. I'm just going on what is likely to be poor memory of a couple of general beer history books though.

Marketing departments are likely to have their wicked way the names of any sold product. I'll remember to call anything of that ilk a Cascadian Ale, or perhaps Oxymoronic Ale :D

Back