Black Isle Red Kite

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike1892

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a big fan of this beer and was wondering if anyone knows of it and can suggest a beer kit or recipe that would emulate it?

Thanks
Mike

Ratebeer has this commercial description (from the brewer):

"An amber colored ale, Black Isle Red Kite is brewed using only the highest quality Maris Otter pale and crystal malts for flavor and body. Challenger hops for bittering with the late addition of Styrian Goldings creates a balance of quenching citrus and malt, and a classic aromatic finish to this refreshing ale. This beer is bright amber with a toasted nut flavor and powerful orange fruit aroma."

Hazarding a guess:
For all-grain use Maris Otter with 5-10% crystal, for extract use light malt extract in place of Maris Otter.

For OG around 1042, ABV 4.2% and 35-40 IBUs (guess):

23 Litres:
3 kg Light Liquid Malt Extract or 4kg Maris Otter
250g Crystal
28g Challenger 60 mins
28g Styrian Goldings 10 mins
Yeast: Dunno. This and the water will possibly influence the beer a fair bit.

Just a rough starting point.

Thanks for this - sounds great. i think this is beyond my skills at the moment though. can anyone recommend a kit that would give a similar sort of beer?

Ratebeer has this commercial description (from the brewer):

"An amber colored ale, Black Isle Red Kite is brewed using only the highest quality Maris Otter pale and crystal malts for flavor and body. Challenger hops for bittering with the late addition of Styrian Goldings creates a balance of quenching citrus and malt, and a classic aromatic finish to this refreshing ale. This beer is bright amber with a toasted nut flavor and powerful orange fruit aroma."

Hazarding a guess:
For all-grain use Maris Otter with 5-10% crystal, for extract use light malt extract in place of Maris Otter.

For OG around 1042, ABV 4.2% and 35-40 IBUs (guess):

23 Litres:
3 kg Light Liquid Malt Extract or 4kg Maris Otter
250g Crystal
28g Challenger 60 mins
28g Styrian Goldings 10 mins
Yeast: Dunno. This and the water will possibly influence the beer a fair bit.

Just a rough starting point.

Hi there,

Having developed my skills a bit over the past few months, I am planning to give this a go. I was wondering how the following method sounded? Just to ensure no glaring errors.

1. steep crystal malt for 1 hour in 2 litres water
2. remove grain. Add 3 litres water and 1 can of light LME (1.5kg) and bring to the boil
3. Add 28g Challenger hops and boil for 1 hour
4. Add 28g Styrian Goldings hops for last 10 mins
5. Set pot in cold water to cool, then strain into FV
6. Add second can of light LME (1.5kg), stir to dissolve, then top up with cool water to appropriate temperature and pitch yeast

Any advice much appreciated - first time with extract.

Cheers,
Michael.

Go for it.... it will make beer, not sure of the taste because i've never had red kite, if its not quite right, think what to add to make it a closer copy next time. or if your happy with it , make it again. either way keep detailed notes,,, cheers:drink:

Latest posts

Back