Black treacle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kegbelly

Reaction score
May seem a daft question but I was thinking of having a play with my first Wherry ale by adding 250 ml of lyles black treacle about 4 days in to first ferment. Anyone tried doing this and what was the outcome. :cheers:

it adds a molasses type flavour that carries through pretty obviously. i would honestly leave it though, wherry is a fantastic brew, and if you want to improve it brew it to 20L instead of 23L :thumb:

your first few brews...stick to the kit until you understand things

I used c.420g of black treacle added to the boil with 10mins to go in a recent Old Peculiar style brew. Came out really well and as you might imagine taste wise.

I once chucked a 454g tin of treacle in a coopers english bitter kit. Surprisingly the final product tasted of treacle. Maybe I used too much. I would stick to the basic kit or go easy on the treacle.

Thinks i,ll leave it alone and stick to the kits, i might reduce down to 20 though and see how that turns out :thumb:

I just made some Coopers Stout with black treacle, apparently this is a common modification, but haven't tasted it yet, will do that in another 10 days or so. You won't learn much by sticking to the kits, you only learn what differences you can make by playing around with different ingredients, and seeing what they do.

As winelight says treacle would go with a stout or similar brew better, best thing you can do with a Wherry kit is swap the yeast for s-04 and get some hop pellets (around 20g of EK Goldings or First Gold) and put them in the FV after around 7 days, or when you think ferment has finished. That will make a good kit awesome! :thumb:

Thanks chaps I,ll take the extra hops on board, now to pop to local brew shop :D

winelight said:
You won't learn much by sticking to the kits, you only learn what differences you can make by playing around with different ingredients, and seeing what they do.

I agree with this but by doing it "standard" the first time you have a benchmark to work to/from.

Latest posts

Back