Blackberry whiskey

Discussion in 'Wine & Cider Recipes' started by Courtney Frankham, Sep 15, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Sep 15, 2019 #1

Courtney Frankham

Courtney Frankham

Courtney Frankham

hi all,

I have found a huge load of blackberries at work and I am going to make some blackberry whiskey.

I have two bottles of honey whiskey at home that are just waiting to be used. Do you think honey whiskey will work ok and if so, how much should I reduce the sugar in the recipe by?

Regards

2. Sep 15, 2019 #2

peebee

peebee

peebee

Out of Control

Never heard of "honey whiskey" but often used honey in place of sugar for blackberry whiskey. Great stuff, but using just heather honey did make for a somewhat over-powering result (all heather honey flavours, not much blackberry). Careful how much; blackberries are already sweet, if making sloe gin sloes ain't so sweet!

3. Sep 15, 2019 #3

Courtney Frankham

Courtney Frankham

Courtney Frankham

It’s a jack daniels whiskey with ‘Tennessee honey’

4. Sep 16, 2019 #4

peebee

peebee

peebee

Out of Control

Careful if using expensive spirit. Whether making blackberry whiskey or sloe gin I've never noticed the difference using supermarket cheapo brands to the expensive stuff (which is better drunk in its own right).

5. Sep 16, 2019 #5

Graz

Graz

Graz

Landlord.

I'd firstly echo the above, no need to use anything other than supermarket own brand blended whisky. Now if you wanted a honey note to it then no reason not to use honey instead of sugar.

I'd guess that if you really wanted to use the JD then it's described as a liqueur and I'd therefore think it would be sweeter. Maybe reduce the sugar by a third?

Made some myself a few years back, pretty tasty but really came good at about two years old.

6. Sep 16, 2019 #6

darrellm

darrellm

darrellm

Landlord. Supporting Member

Always have a couple of jars on the go, been gradually reducing the amount of sugar each year as it can be too sweet and easy to drink. Most end up a year old but occasionally two. Normally look out for offers on supermarket whisky, as others have said no point using the expensive stuff as the blackberries and sugar change the taste.

Re-use the blackberries in a fruit crumble although be careful giving it to the kids :laugh8:

7. Sep 16, 2019 #7

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat

Cheshire Cat

I did blackberry Rum last year with a £10 rum from Aldi. Was good but needed straining through muslin. I mainly flavour Gin with Sloes, Damsons,Rhubarb or Raspberries.