Blow Off Tube

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopperty

Reaction score
Any advise on what the min internal diameter should be for a blow off pipe ?

Just had a near disaster with a brew, (Mangrove Jack Bavarian Wheat) In 28 brews I have never seen anything go as fast as this, went from 1050 to 1013 in under 48 hours. The foaming head on the brew blocked my air lock and built up enough pressure to force the top of the FV off. What a mess with foam everywhere, lost over two pints! 10 days on the beer is still in the FV and smells OK so hopefully not infected?

So any advice on how to form a blow off valve that won't block ?

I use syphon tubing. Take a Handy airlock, minus its lid and force a length of tubing over the central pipe of the airlock. Other end goes into a jam jar or similar of water / sanitiser.

Any idea what the min diameter is of a 'Handy Airlock' is ? and what internal dia is a siphon tube ?

mine blocked at the narrowest part of mine which was 5.5mm

Any idea what the min diameter is of a 'Handy Airlock' is ? and what internal dia is a siphon tube ?

mine blocked at the narrowest part of mine which was 5.5mm
The tube I have is 3/8 internal diameter, 1/2 external. Seems to work ok but I’d wait to hear from some of the more experienced people on here before you order any.

I've got a wheat with M20 which fermented in the same explosive way. I fitted the airlock bung and some 6mm ID tube from the malt miller, it did the job.

However, it only had to contend with foam, so it was OK. It it had to contend with thick krausen like a WY1469 it would have blocked the tube. So I'm gonna rig up some half inch tube instead.

Latest posts

Back