advice for newbies: have a plan for a blow-off tube

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moderate order

Reaction score
All the beginner guides and particularly the kits, recommend/provide airlocks. This is, presumably, because they are simple and easy to understand and use. I went through my first 3 brews using only airlocks without problems.

I'm sure this wont be news for the experienced brewers here, but at some point, unless your brewing vessel has a lot of head space, your krausen will make a break for freedom out of your airlock. When it does this, you will panic.

My advice: have a plan for how you will implement a blow-off tube. ie make sure you have a tube that is long-enough to reach a bottle of star-san, and can make a seal in the top of your fermentation vessel. Having to do jury-rig something in a hurry is somewhat stressful.

The worst thing? Since you're brewing, there's a chance you wont have any beer to relax yourself after you've fixed the mess....

I just sit my FV in a garden trub, (used just for brewing ) clip the lid two thirds of the way around ,and then just drop a towel etc over the section not cliped down to catch any krausen trying to escape

I had no problems until I brewed my first stout ! Came home to some on the ceiling 😹😹 cat was not happy !(
I managed to use a blow off tube into a jug. But then found a Speidel fermenter which has a bigger airlock.

Latest posts

Back