Boil kettle element install through Base of 50l pot

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yamye

Reaction score
Hi, I'm going to put together a new boil kettle with 2 cheap kettle elements. But I was thinking of drilling the holes in the base of the pot and mounting them through the bottom instead of the side as usually done. I already have a 50L boil kettle with 2 x side elements which works but It would be easier to clean them seeing both sides of the element and would look neater. I was going to build a stand for the pot to sit on and hide the elements and wiring. Any thoughts on it affecting the boil?

Hi Yamye I think my main concern with bottom mounting the elements, if I understand you correctly, you would have kettle elements sticking up vertically several inches into your pot. I would worry that you could catch them when whirl-pooling or stirring hops etc. Also, if you should have any seepage from the seals the hot wort/water would be directly over the element electrics and may be a risk. I can't see why it would affect the boil in general though, I'm sure folks with more knowledge than me on here will advise. Just my thoughts. :)

@treebeard - some good points there, if the boiler is stood on something the leak may not be detected and there may be a risk of electrocution.

Thanks for the replies. In using a pump and hop spider there shouldn't be problems with whirlpool or hops as i down allow them loose in the kettle and never touch anything in the pot during boil. I understand it wouldnt work with long elements but as these are the ring elements from argos kettles they should always be covered with liquid. I have had a leaking element on the side of the pot due to radius and the element tests down to earth with an insulation tester so was scrapped. Luckily my pot is grounded to earth and rcd protected properly. Hopefully the base being flat would form a more reliable seal? My current 50L pot will be insulated and used as a mash tun if i use this idea.

I’d have thought the main issue would be that you increase the minimum level at which you can have the elements turned on. You don’t want tot be supplying power to them if the tips are out of the liquid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This could be a problem with a small brew Rogermort but if im doing minimum 18L batches in a 50L pot the elements should always be covered using small ring elements. I was more worried about the heat disipation to the liquid and how it would affect the boil or scorching with vertical upright elements. Was going to do a test on a old fermenting bucket and see how it works. I use triac dimmers on both my elements to control boil so thats under control.

The horizontal element in my kettle enables me to start heating the wort after I've collected about 6 to 8 liters. That definitely helps speed bringing the wort to a boil. I don't see any advantage with vertical elements.

I'm trying to weigh up the pros and cons for vertical mounted elements and so far the traditional way seems to be favoured, sometimes you have to keep it simple haha. The horizontal bottom position elements are mounted in has done me a good 20 odd brews fine i was just wondering of everybodys opinion as I couldn't fine anything on the subject online. This helps a lot thanks for the inputs

Back