Books

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What books do people have in their home brew library?

I have a few but find the best and most detailed I have is "How to Brew" by John Palmar.

Have some money to spend on books so any suggestions?

Got gregs book which was brilliant when I made the step to AG. Just received Graham wheelers new British ales book, Belgian farmhouse ales and the book by the main man behind the dogfish head brewery.

Had my eye on Greg Hughes' book. Seen it referred to in a few you tube brewing vids I have seen.

Will have a look in town tomorrow.

You can get it from Waterstones for about £10. It was available for much less on Amazon for a large part of last year (£3?). It is a very useful resource indeed and contains about 100 different recipes to follow or tweak slightly.

As someone who does partial mashes, using a kit (or extract) plus an easy-to-handle mash of around 2.5kg of grain, the recipes that quote both extact and AG recipes for the same beer are very useful indeed.

They give you a way of constructing a half-way recipe quite simply and for any brew length.

Graham Wheeler's British Real Ale for last couple of years. This year Santa brought me Greg Hughes book...heard folk referring to it as the Bible!

+1 with others..the Greg Hughes book is great for all grain or extract brewing since it has so many recipes covering a very diverse range of beers. I got it from my wife for Xmas and wish I'd got it when I switched to all grain brewing.

One of my favourite books is Brew Like a Monk by Stan Hieronymus. Although if you have no interest in Belgian beers probably not for you! I also really liked Mikkeller's book for the recipes.

As above, the Greg Hughes book has some good recipes in it. Also Dave Law's Home Brew Handbook, very similar style, but with different recipes.

Got Mitch Steele's IPA book for xmas, looks really good, with some good recipes of my favourites in there too. Also got the Hops, Malt, Yeast and Water series of books, which get good reviews, but I can't comment just yet.

brewing stouts and porters ,History Origins and 60 recipes by Terry Foster is quite a good read...next brewday im thinking will be the brown porter in the book.

Latest posts

Back