Bottle conditioning IPAs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bashley

Reaction score
I've looked around and still can't understand how long and at what temp I should be conditioning for.

For a hoppy IPA at around 5% ABV do I leave the bottles in the dark for 2 weeks at 20c, then into a cooler area at maybe around 15c before refrigerating?

why would it be different for IPA? I did Black IPA, 5.5ABV. left for couple weeks at room temperature and then 4 more weeks at 12. Actually I also keep beer at 12 so "conditioning" becomes just "keeping at ready to drink temperature".

I have found it can vary for no obvious reason, most are carbonated in 3-4 days but some have taken 3 weeks. If you put one in a plastic bottle you can tell when it gets hard.

I have found it can vary for no obvious reason, most are carbonated in 3-4 days but some have taken 3 weeks. If you put one in a plastic bottle you can tell when it gets hard.
ha, I do exactly the same. Always fill one or two plastic bottles so I can easily check if carbonated enough to transfer to a cooler conditioning fridge

I leave mine at around 20c and try one after a week. If they are tasty and carbed I start drinking them. Otherwise into the garage and leave a few weeks at whatever the temp is.
I reckon IPA's are a good choice for bottling.

What temps are good for carbonation/conditioning?
normally for ales conditioning is at 12C. It will also carbonate at 12 but will take longer. That's why I keep it at room temp (19-20) for a few weeks just to avoid worrying if carbonation is taking too long.

For an IPA where the hop character is the key feature I think you want to drink it as soon as possible. I would keep the bottles at room temperature for 1-2 weeks and then start drinking. As soon as you are happy that it is fully carbonated then keep it somewhere cold. Heat speeds up the reactions that degrade hop aroma and cause staling of the beer, so cold storage will keep the beer tastings good for longer.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back