Bottle conditioning temps

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizurd

Reaction score
Hi

I've looked around and read up in this but I still wanted to check my thoughts with you all.

I've got my AG bottled and it's been bottled for two weeks at around 20 C. Now normally I'd then move the bottles on to our pantry floor as it's stone and probably drops then a few degrees. However I am tempted to put some in the house fridge (don't have a dedicated brew fridge). But is the fridge going to be too cold? Can I leave the bottles in there for two weeks to condition or would it somehow mess my beer up?

I'm taking the temp of the fridge as we speak. My guess is around 4 degrees like most fridges.

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk

I would leave another week at 20c before dropping the temp. Even though the beer is carbed in the bottle, the yeast still does some work with remaining diacityl etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I store my beer in the shed, during the summer by time I get around to drinking it has conditioned, but in the winter months I found a problem, I had run short of stock so instead of the normal 2, to 3 months before drinking I was only leaving it 4 weeks, and I had to bring it back into the garage and into the brew fridge at 19ºC before it got any pressure.

I had one failed attempt at Lager and again I found the supplied kit yeast would not play until at least at 17ºC. At 12ºC which the book I read said was temperature for Lager simply nothing happened. With special Lager yeast yes low temperature. But standard yeast found in kits might just about work at 16ºC but in real terms below 18ºC forget it.

Standard temperature for a wine fridge is 12ºC for a normal fridge 4 ~ 5ºC and for a freezer -18ºC which is freezing point of brine. My fridge as a "Vacation" mode designed to keep it cool enough to stop mould, but use less power, that is set to 15ºC which may be OK it is just on the limit. But if I did that with my fridge I would need to hide from my wife. The vacation mode is designed to be used with an empty fridge.
°C

Cheers for the advice. I've tried one now. Tastes good I think but no head. Put 49g dextrose into 7L of beer. Maybe just need another week at a higher temp

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back