Bottle fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THE_Liam

Reaction score
Just about to bottle a stout, it's been in my 2nd FV for a couple of days and the temp has dropped to about 15 degrees, when I bottle it and prime it, will it start to ferment again or have I ruined it by letting it get too cold? Also, what kind of temperature do you keep the bottles at?

It will be fine, there will be plenty of yeast about although they may be a little sleepy due to the temp. I would bottle and bring them back to the warmth for 2 weeks for the yeasts to convert the priming sugars, back cool for a week and then drink... enjoy

Cheers mate. How warm do they need to be kept? I don't have CH so my house is proper cold...

18-20 ideally...any lower than that and it probably won't carbonate, at least not in a couple of weeks. Any lower than 16 and it won't go at all. Have you got a hot water tank cupboard? If not, I'm stuck for an answer...

large cardboard box with some blankets on ! fill it with your bottles and bubble wrap, even chuck in a hot water bottle if need be...... where there's a will....there's a way.

I'm thinking about just taking them to my mams house for a week, she has the heating cranked up all the time...

fbsf said:
There's your answer then - unless there's a risk of 40 bottles becoming 30... :)

Knowing my dad there's a chance of 40 bottles becoming an apology :lol:

Really struggling to get the temperature up, my parents are away and I don't have a key so I can't take them there...

Right, I've moved them into a warmer place, been cold in bottles for 2 days. Think the yeasties will wake up? I wouldn't be worried but this stout tastes epic!

Cold will never kill yeast (unless we're talking seriously cold) it just sends it to sleep. It should wake up fine when back in the warm.

Just a word on low temperature fermenting. I used to put my beer (all grain) in 25litre plastic cubes that used to hold sherry, they were free from my local club. Clearly they could not be pressurised or they would explode. BUT.. in the winter I used to prime and put a cube in my garage for a couple of months in freezing conditions. ALL of the gas stayed in the liquid at low temperatures and the conditioning was superb. Which shows that yeast does work if given time at low temperatures. And this was with ale yeast not lager yeast.

Latest posts

Back