bottle seal problem.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotruss

Reaction score
Hi there, I have just joined the forum because I am restarting making beer at home but I have one problem stopping me. I inherited my father's old bottles which are all stone topped screw tops but the rubber seals are all perished. I remember him making seals from rubber tubing years ago. I have tried to get natural rubber tubing where I stay and I cannot find any, can anyone help me with suppliers of rubber tubing? I remember he cut rings from the tubing and putting them in boiling water so they could be put on the stone tops. I would appreciate the help...Thanks scotruss:thumb:

These may do the trick ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FF3NFS6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

... but without a photograph and the required dimensions it's difficult to determine exactly what you need.

PS

With today's throwaway culture it difficult to source replacement parts for many bits of kit, old and new.

Here's a good example for the younger members of the Forum. Are you aware that we used to repair our bicycle valves as well as the tubes!

No kidding! Spare bike valve tubing was available in every bike shop but nowadays I think you would have to go to a museum to find some.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of to work here atm so i can't look about but see if you can source food grade butyl rubber, you may find though that its as cheap to source new bottles as resurrect old ones.

These may do the trick ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FF3NFS6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

... but without a photograph and the required dimensions it's difficult to determine exactly what you need.

PS

With today's throwaway culture it difficult to source replacement parts for many bits of kit, old and new.

Here's a good example for the younger members of the Forum. Are you aware that we used to repair our bicycle valves as well as the tubes!

No kidding! Spare bike valve tubing was available in every bike shop but nowadays I think you would have to go to a museum to find some.

I've never had a bike valve fail that I needed to repair. By the time I need to chuck my tubes they will have loads of patches on them but the valve is still fine

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never had a bike valve fail that I needed to repair. By the time I need to chuck my tubes they will have loads of patches on them but the valve is still fine

Ah, that will be because you could afford to buy new inner tubes! :lol: :lol:

I inherited most of my innertubes from my brother or sister after they had given up cycling and bought cars!

They were at least five years old, well used, patched and almost without fail with valve rubbers were perished and needed replacing. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back