Bottled beer life span.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flamingo

Reaction score
Hi,

I have some beer that has been bottled for many months.

Several years ago I recall breweries having to throw away thousands of gallons of beer that were thought to be "past their sell by date" as a result of industrial strikes. I am wondering then if my bottles may in fact be heading for the same fate.

Any advice appreciated.

I think that it depends upon what it is and how it's been stored. Stronger beers fare better as do those kept in cool conditions. I've just finished the last bottle of a Belgian quad I brewed 2 years ago. It was superb. I wouldn't keep a hop forward beer longer than 3 or months tops.

It really depends some beer especially hoppy ones can degrade relatively quickly they won’t be bad per say but start to loose flavours. Other beers especially strong dark beers I find tend to improve with age (some styles I won’t even touch until they have had at least a few months to condition.

Basically open one and see.

It is 20 plus 2pint Bulmers cider bottles of Geordie bitter. No hops were used so was quite pleased with those replies.
Thanks to all.

I have a bottle of Fullers Vintage Ale 2020 with a BBE of 31 December 2030

59898DD4-4A48-4FBE-8ECA-C6DF7A65A195.jpeg
C632656B-051D-4203-9179-FE7086D3A323.jpeg

Found a bottle of Festival Landlord lurking in the cupboard from 2017ish a few months ago. It was superb

I don't think you have to worry. Some beers are, technically, better fresh. It's never stopped me.
I've never gotten much past a year but since I brew high-ABV beers (stouts and Belgians), a year is not a problem and probably a benefit.

Thanks for all replies.
I see it as good news in the long term and much appreciate all of the advice given.

I’ve got a couple of Rochefort 10 left from a case couple of years ago, BBE 2025, this beer develops amazing flavour changes over the years, good teacher of patience!

I’ve found strong and dark seem to keep the best with my own brews, kept in sealed boxes in a coolish shed out of temptations way. Doubled up on a brewferm Christmas ale which was great after first year, a few left for next will be two years in bottle.

Last edited:
I've had some beers that I had forgotten about and were still perfetly ok @ 3 years old. Only way you'll know is to try them but I'm sure they will be fine for quite a while yet.

Back