Bottles for Elderflower Champagne

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbbbeeer

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've had a go at brewing two beers now with reasonable success, We now fancy having a go at Elderflower champagne with a recipe that we found online. Just wondered what to consider when choosing bottles to put it in. Have read some horror stories of shattering/exploding bottles?

We were thinking of making them as presents so were considering buying some swing top bottles (like the Ikea 1l ones maybe - http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50108908) to put it in. Guessing the swing lid would allow pressure to leak before bottle explodes?

Definitely don't want to give someone a present that's going to take their eyes out!!

Any advice much appreciated!

Those Ikea swing-tops have been mentioned before, and the consensus was that they appear to be decorative items for oils etc. but might not withstand the pressures generated in brewing. I've picked one up myself, weighed it in my hand and put it back on the shelf.

If you're making sparkling wines you must use proper Champagne/Cava/Sekt bottles with stoppers and wire cages, or plastic pop bottles (which wouldn't look too great as give-aways).

Any chance of the link to the recipe you're thinking of using?

I've got an IKEA one, dont' waste your money. Exactly what Moley says, but don't even last long for that...

Add 70 grams of sugar per 4.5 l and a champagne yeast to demi john. Let it sit for few hours then lie on side somewhere warm for 5 dsys. Cold store for 6 months then store upside down and give sharp twist daily until yeast is in the neck. Finally freeze the neck in crushed ice and cooking salt take cage and stopper out take ice with sediment out and recap quickly. Hey presto but can be bit fiddly first couple of goes.

Latest posts

Back