Bottles -v- Kegs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curryholic

Reaction score
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, i did have a quick search.

My first brew is soon to be under way so thought I've got a bit of time to ask this question which i know will probably polarise the audience (I don't want to start and argument or get flamed on my first post!!!)...

Should I put the second stage into bottles or a keg?

I can see the merits in both but I'm thinking to favouring bottles because of ease of storage as i could have them in a case in the garage and bring a few in as needed, less stuff laying around for the wife to get fedup with, if I have a couple of brews on the go then I only need to buy more bottles.

I've just started home brew so I could buy bottles now and a keg later.

Thanks,
Dave

Curryholic said:
I've just started home brew so I could buy bottles now and a keg later.
You don't buy bottles, unless they are full and you re-use them when you've drunk their contents.

Ask your local pubs or raid your neighbours' recycling bins (with their permission).

You can also re-use plastic pop bottles and their screwtops.

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

It's a pleasure to build up a bottle store :thumb: :drink: :drink: :lol: :lol:

Bottling is a bit of a faff though, especially first time around.

Consider investing in a little bottler to make life easier, and a good no rinse sanitiser for the bottles, like videne (correctly diluted!) will make the process easier too.

All good investments, because you may well always want to fill a few bottles even when you do have kegs, because they are perfect for taking to parties, or giving to friends :thumb:

I'm mulling over the same dilemma at the moment.

One thing I was considering to make bottling easier was buying say 3 cornies, a CO2 bottle and a Blichmann beer gun. I could then force carbonate each batch in the cornies and move them over into bottles straight away. Apart from saving time and hassle with not having to prime bottles etc, they shouldn't have sediment which will make it easier to transport.

I've already been talking to one of my neighbours and told him to get drinking.

I'll also have a chat with our local on Tuesday when I'm in, that's a good idea that one!

Plus it also adds to the lucky dip element if you've got a couple on the go and forget to label it ;)

I've just ordered all my equipment for my first ever brew (should be here by Wednesday) and included 24 plastic pint bottles with screw lids.

Never figured on re-using old bottles because of the re-lidding, but I assume it's easy enough? :roll:

My main motivation for using bottles is to keep the speed of consumption down! :drink:

chuckle-bus-tom said:
I've just ordered all my equipment for my first ever brew (should be here by Wednesday) and included 24 plastic pint bottles with screw lids.

I was just looking at the plastic bottles too. Bit easier to tell if they've been dropped or are damaged, they can withstand a bit of rough play and plus are a damn site cheaper too!

Tesco has lemonade in 2l PET's for 18p a bottle. I use the lemonade with the (inadvertent) over strength FGB for fizz and sweetening, then bottle into the empties.

Latest posts

Back