Bottles Vs Kegs... why do my bottles taste rancid?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only question would be your choice of sanitising chemical - Chlorine-based like Youngs and VWP normally need 2-3 rinses in water afterwards - a single rinse may not be enough.

If it's something like Videne or Starsan, then you don't need to worry about it.

I will also rinse from the electric shower hose... simply by unscrewing the shower head...

I tend to fill my FV's/barrells with warm water this way to save effort (I can put the hose in the top and walk away for a while as it fills a bit)

The water is not from a tank - it's a cold feed straight into the shower and it's simply heating it.

the actual beer is brewed with mineral water.

dodsi said:
bit of a late reply...

I have not bottled since posting this but am about to bottle a brewferm raspberry beer (framboos) and then brew a brewferm kreik for bottling.

all my bottles are rinsed after pouring beer out and I will be rinsing them all out a few times with warm water after sterilizing in an FV.

I also have some woodefords kits that I intend on bottling (wherry really) which I have bought some better yeast for (so4)

so to recap...

fill FV with sterilizing solution.
place bottles in
leave for 15/30mins
shake out and rinse each bottle.
throw sterilizing solution over bottle tree
rinse off bottle tree
place all bottles on tree to drain.
fill from little bottler tool carefully
cap
warm for a week or 2
cool for a few months
taste...

any issues you can see? or anything I can do to improve new technique.
What sterilizing solution are you using? I use VWP and have to give the bottles a couple of rinses in cold water to remove all of the VWP smell (and I assume taste). I have found that one rinse isn't enough.

and yes... I use the youngs/wilko's/muntons powdered type stuff.

I will be giving the bottles some really good rinsing with plenty of warm water. (3 times minimum)

Make sure you run the shower at full heat for at least two minutes before using it - otherwise a lot of bacteria transfer from the hose to the bottles/beer. You need to get it as hot as possible to kill off the bugs and flush them out.

fbsf said:
Chlorine-based like Youngs and VWP normally need 2-3 rinses in water afterwards - a single rinse may not be enough.

Disagree entirely. I only ever rinse my bottles once and I've never had any residual swimming-poolness in nearly 1000 pints...

...but when I say "rinse" that is a rinse under running of the outside, then a fill to the brim, then inverted and shaken vigorously until empty.

That's all making sense then!

FWIW, FV's, obviously as giving 25kg a good shake isn't that easy, I tend to have to rinse two or three times to get them non-whiffy. :thumb:

dodsi said:
and yes... I use the youngs/wilko's/muntons powdered type stuff.

I will be giving the bottles some really good rinsing with plenty of warm water. (3 times minimum)

I thought it was supposed to be made up warm and rinsed out cold?

I use VWP and always rinse twice.

I've used WMP and I used Milton, rinse the bottles 3 times and haven't had any taste of chlorine, esp since I changed after my first brew to bottles water as our tap water had a bad chlorine smell of it. Blame loch Neagh. Is it the yeast mixing in, I've found with my wherry that the yeast is like glue stuck to the bottom of the bottle and you would need to shake the **** out of it, for it tom come out whilst pouring

I use Starsan (Due to the fact I got interested in Home Brewing through Youtube and they were using it on there...).. Not had a problem yet. Don't worry about rinsing them. But I have only ever bottled about 120 bottles, total..

Just to be sure, you are sanitizing the little bottler and priming vessel?

Latest posts

Back