Bottling from a one-week old barrel?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimsx

Reaction score
Quick newbie question ...

I decanted my first wherry kit (made up to c35 pints) into a "batch primed" barrel last weekend & then filled 20 bottles direct from the barrel.

I was going to leave the remaining brew in the barrel - however, I have since discovered that there is a very slow leak from the barrel tap. It is just a slow drip - but no amount of fiddling seems to resolve it - & so I now have to sit the barrel inside a large plastic tub!

I presume (one week into secondary fermentation) that drawing the remaining beer from the barrel into more bottles won't be an issue - or do I need to add a bit more priming sugar?

It is fairly pressured when I open the tap (I added some CO2 as there were only 15 pints in a 5g barrel - which probably didn't help!) - so I wonder whether this will introduce too much air into the mix when bottling at this late stage.

I'd consider the priming sugar to be used up, so just prime as if you had never primed. otherwise it'll be fine, you'll need to syphon from the keg and not bottle from the tap - but get someone to help you, don't underestimate how hard it is to bottle from a keg! hahah. you may wanna transfer to a bucket first :thumb:

I've just remembered how messy it was when bottling with the pressure barrel tap....and realised that I have filled a leaking one with beer whilst thinking "I'll just bottle that in a few weeks.

A second pair of hands would be very handy!

Latest posts

Back