Bottling from One Gallon to Bottles Help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Loves Beer

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wanted to ask a question about bottling. Can I go straight from a 1 gallon demijohn to bottles instead of transferring to a bottling bucket or keg first? Is it easy to siphon straight into the bottles if the siphon has a tap on the end?

Any help would be great. Its my first all grain brew.

Thanks
Matt

I'm by no means an expert, but, I bottle directly from my 1 gallon demijohn into bottles primed with 1/2 tsp of sugar with the aid of an auto-siphon. My Mrs does a great job holding the siphon above the trub

OK thanks for the replies. I don't want to make too much of a mess or lose any beer so if siphon into a keg first will that be ok? Should I buy a bottle filler to fix to the keg?

U can use a peg with the siphon clip to lower the siphon into the DJ at intervals, or to just hold it above the drub!

I sometimes push a hose through a bung and then use that to get it 2cm above the trub and wedge something at the side to let in air. That lets you get most of it bottled and then you only have to fanny about with tilting and swearing on the last bottle.

Thanks for all the advise guys, the night really well. I went to my local home brew shop and the chap hooked me up with a (sorry I don't know what this is called) stick that I put in the DJ with tubing going to a tap and then back into some more tubing. Got 9 bottles full and spilt probably a few teaspoons worth so very happy. I tastes really good too.

I've washed all my stuff ready for the next batch but have a little staining on the shoulder of the DJ. Will this be ok to leave or do I need to get it off? I'm talking just a little bit, hardly any at all.

Hi!
I would put a couple of scoops of Wizz Oxi, or similar, in the DJ and fill it with hot water. Expect a lot of foam to come out of the DJ.
Alternatively, a good scrub with a bottle brush.

Yep I've got the clothes pegs

:laugh8:

Bucket clip £2:45 posted - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Syphon-T...=item35ea09f431:g:iUcAAOSwlptaL772:rk:34:pf:0

s-l225.jpg

Don't buy one of these (below) as the main clip as they do not hold the tube tight enough i use one next to the red one above to stop the loop of tube at the top getting too tight and restricting flow.

s-l225.jpg

Latest posts

Back