Bottling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McBrewin

Reaction score
Hi all,
Newbie question (checking whether I need to buy more stuff).

So the starter kit I received as a present was originally intended for cider but checking lots of YouTube videos on how to make a batch of home brew beer, the bucket/drum I have for fermentation is the exact same, regardless of beer or cider.

I have the long mixing spoon, and lots of other bits I don’t know the name of yet (as I’m a newbie), but look the same 🤣

My question is more around the bottles, as it was a cider making kit, I have several plastic 1L bottles with screw caps. I’m “assuming” it shouldn’t make any difference to the taste whether it’s in glass with a cap or plastic with a screw cap?

Other than the obvious aesthetics, and it not feeling as nice drinking out of a plastic bottle, is there any manufacturing reason why it would not work? I.E. should I invest in some glass bottles and caps or is what I have ok for a first batch, do that later when I’ve made a few batches?

Most of the plastic/glass processing gear is suitable for wine/cider/beer.
I have used and still use plastic bottles when I run out of empty glass bottles. I can't detect any difference in taste. Suggest you use bottles which had fizzy water/pop in them, especially for beer/cider, as they take a fair amount of pressure.
Most of my glass bottles date back 10 years or more and I only buy new if Grolsch type fliptops are going cheap (or free of course).
Also I often use kitchen utensils to save buyingspecially for brewing.

Size is a consideration with bottles. I find that 500ml is the sweet spot for me and either screw top PET or swingtop Grolsch . They are a good size to put in fridge and fill a pint glass without kicking up the sedement. I have 4 kegs. Co2 distribution board and still bottle a large percentage of my brews

Latest posts

Back