Brand new with a Wherry stuttering start . . . . .

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSalad

Reaction score
Hi Folks, just saying hello as I am new to home brew and new to the Forum.

I started my first Woodfordes Wherry last week and it stopped fermenting about day 3-4. I was concerned that I had not stirred and disolved the contents of the cans well enough and that some of it was sat at the bottom of the FV. So I gave it a gentle stir and it started again but only for about 12 hours. I have added some yeast nutrient and stirred (gently) again today. Whatever happens now I will leave for a total of about 12 days, to settle as much as anything, before bottling. For bottling I will be using 4 x 10pint PET bottles with gas tap.

It's a learning process. Fingers crossed. Already looking forward to making the next one.

What temperature is the brew at? If it's colder than 20c it will take longer to ferment and will be less vigorous. Try to avoid messing with the brew as much as possible once it has started, as you increase the risk of contamination.

If you don't have a hydrometer, invest the £3 or so in one, as that is the only truly reliable way to know what is happening.

Good luck!

FatCol

Thanks FatCol. It has been at a steady 20 degrees, sat in the shunky. The FV is on a tiled floor, is that OK, make any difference?

Understand what you mean about not messing with it, hope I haven't done anything wrong. Will be more careful next time.

Thanks again.

These kit are pretty fool prof just put the yeast in try to keep it at 20c it will take off like a rocket at first but will start to slow down by day 3-4 and by day 7 there will be very little happening just cheek the FG down about 1010 and it will be fine I promise

I have bottled my Wherry after 11 days in the FV. OG 1040, FG 1010 . . . . . . although I am still geting used to the hydrometer, but it's about right.

Have bottled in 4 x 10pint bottles (the tap a draft system). Got about 35 pints worth. Tasted a little weak but not too bad. Have primed the 10 pint bottles with 5 teaspoons of normal sugar. Bottles have gone rock hard. Is it ever right to release some gas?

I have bottled my Wherry after 11 days in the FV. OG 1040, FG 1010 . . . . . . although I am still geting used to the hydrometer, but it's about right.

The first 20 years of my brewing experience I never used a hydrometer .. never had a problem, I just waited a minimum of 14 days then fermentation was finished. Still it's useful to get near enough accurate readings. Enjoy!

Little tip - with Wherry and some of the other cheaper kits, the yeast isn't that great nor plentiful, so I find a teaspoon or two of yeast nutrient added to the brew helps it out and prevents things like stuck brews. You can get it from Wilkos or any brew shop.

As I haven't got time to do an AG at present, I chucked a wherry in the FV today. Substituted Safale SO4 for the kit yeast to see what a difference it makes.
Graham

Back