Brew Dog

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only been to a brewdog once, had the punk ipa which I thought was ****. So over hopped that you couldn't really enjoy it

The Punk IPA is the one beer of theirs I quite like. There are better examples of American IPAs though, and, with hops like Amarillo, Nelson Sauvin and Simcoe, it really should be better than it is, I reckon.

You either like that way of hopping a beer or you don't. I don't particularly like lager, I find it never seems to taste as good as it looks, or taste of much at all, in fact. But millions of people love it and drink no other beer styles. Lager yeast, lager malt and lager hops seem to deliver not very much, to me. But I'm an ale drinker, we are all different.

Absolutely, it's obviously wildly popular so I'm in the minority :) - There were three of us there and we all thought it was far too much on the hop front but it was on tap, maybe I should give a bottle a try.

I quiet like a hoppy ale/lager usually. Just remembered I did try This.Is.Lager in Wetherspoons a couple of months back and didn't think it was too bad, but far preferred Devils Backbone

I like the idea of a hopped up lager and, when I next get chance to ferment cool, I'll try making one. I like a hopped single malt ale with a neutral yeast, which is pretty similar.

I like the idea of a hopped up lager and, when I next get chance to ferment cool, I'll try making one. I like a hopped single malt ale with a neutral yeast, which is pretty similar.
Clibit i have just dry hopped a lager with 100g of Citra and its LOVELY:grin:

Adnams Dry Hopped is nice, I think they use Galaxy.

Sort on the same theme. I read 'Cheers' (the free in-pub magazine). In there it talks about SABMiller (as in Miller's light) having bought a London based craft brewery called Meantime.

Quote from Nick Miller (CEO of Meantime, wonder if there is a relation) 'The craft tag is increasingly redundant and selling will not harm the company's reputation' - 'I think the term 'craft' will disappear'.

My take is the big brewers have got their eye on the craft scene (the likes of Brew Dog taking a chunk of the market AND getting punters to invest in them) and want a piece of the action. Getting the CEO of a craft brewery to declare 'craft is dead' is quite a piece.

Sort on the same theme. I read 'Cheers' (the free in-pub magazine). In there it talks about SABMiller (as in Miller's light) having bought a London based craft brewery called Meantime.

Quote from Nick Miller (CEO of Meantime, wonder if there is a relation) 'The craft tag is increasingly redundant and selling will not harm the company's reputation' - 'I think the term 'craft' will disappear'.

My take is the big brewers have got their eye on the craft scene (the likes of Brew Dog taking a chunk of the market AND getting punters to invest in them) and want a piece of the action. Getting the CEO of a craft brewery to declare 'craft is dead' is quite a piece.

We were talking about this in another thread. Of course the big breweries have got there eye on the profits to be made from the 'craft' revolution. Guiness are dipping there toe in the craft market with there Dublin Porter and West Indies Porter (think there's some marketing hokum to go along with it about using some long lost receipe). Tbh I think 'craft' is an Americanism, and an attempt to get away from the image of old duffers drinking 'real ale' which is what we call the same stuff over here. So is this miller bloke saying marketing is dead? I don't think so.

I have been working my way through a bit of a selection box of Brewdog beers and for me they range from the sublime to the ridiculous, I think the whole uber hopping thing goes too far with some of them but the goal with some of the beers seems to be to make your face turn inside out! Agree the Lager is nice, hoppy but with a nice malty base as well, but not quite nice enough for the cost. I think my favourite is the 5AM Red loads of hops but balanced with some lovely malt flavour. Their darker beers also seem pretty good just had a Dogma which is supposed to be a scottish heavy, tasted more like a porter to me but still very nice. The Alice porter was also good very chocolate heavy and quite sweet, would be a great intro to Porter for people who are scared of darker ales. Really didnt like the hardcore IPA (but am yet to find a double/imperial american IPA that I do enjoy) or the Saisson. The most popular ones (Pony and Punk) are pretty good but I wouldnt buy them in the shop if I can get a decent 500ml Ale for less. I think there whole marketing shtick is a bit tongue in cheek but it does seem to draw hipsters like flies to **** which is the main reason along with the prices I wouldnt be a regular in one of their bars, that being said I would rather have a Brewdog bar on my high street than most of the dross that is there currently so I guess I have mixed feelings on the brand!

On to a Jack Hammer next and this is exactly what I mean by the ridiculous its just massively over hopped which I understand is the idea but to me its just not pleasant aftertaste of battery acid/sick is not what Im after in a beer:sick:

I have been working my way through a bit of a selection box of Brewdog beers and for me they range from the sublime to the ridiculous, I think the whole uber hopping thing goes too far with some of them but the goal with some of the beers seems to be to make your face turn inside out! Agree the Lager is nice, hoppy but with a nice malty base as well, but not quite nice enough for the cost. I think my favourite is the 5AM Red loads of hops but balanced with some lovely malt flavour. Their darker beers also seem pretty good just had a Dogma which is supposed to be a scottish heavy, tasted more like a porter to me but still very nice. The Alice porter was also good very chocolate heavy and quite sweet, would be a great intro to Porter for people who are scared of darker ales. Really didnt like the hardcore IPA (but am yet to find a double/imperial american IPA that I do enjoy) or the Saisson. The most popular ones (Pony and Punk) are pretty good but I wouldnt buy them in the shop if I can get a decent 500ml Ale for less. I think there whole marketing shtick is a bit tongue in cheek but it does seem to draw hipsters like flies to **** which is the main reason along with the prices I wouldnt be a regular in one of their bars, that being said I would rather have a Brewdog bar on my high street than most of the dross that is there currently so I guess I have mixed feelings on the brand!

I quite like brewdog's beers. I even brew a clone every now and then. But I couldn't drink that **** all night. More (hops) is not necessarily better. The current trend for over hopping at every opportunity probably explains why I can't buy hops by the kilo anymore :electric:

On to a Jack Hammer next and this is exactly what I mean by the ridiculous its just massively over hopped which I understand is the idea but to me its just not pleasant aftertaste of battery acid/sick is not what Im after in a beer:sick:

I quite liked the Jack Hammer, have a hardcore IPA to try so we'll see how I find that one...I do like a DIPA tho.

I found the Hardcore IPA slightly preferable to the Jack Hammer but I think that style generally is just not to my taste, I've done my best to like them but my taste buds refuse to comply!

I cannot say I ever tried them I seen them in Tesco and they seem very pricey..

Like a few of you they seem to be the big marketing rebels against the boring macro stuff.. I know I shouldn't but I get put off by all that over selling the "craft" scene. From what I hear they throw a lot of hops at everything. Again I like hops but .. I dunno maybe I am over reading it.

I dont even tend to try many store bought beers at all now and rely on my own stock.. perhaps I should grab one of theirs.. any recommendation?

Like a few of you they seem to be the big marketing rebels against the boring macro stuff.. I know I shouldn't but I get put off by all that over selling the "craft" scene. From what I hear they throw a lot of hops at everything. Again I like hops but .. I dunno maybe I am over reading it.

I dont even tend to try many store bought beers at all now and rely on my own stock.. perhaps I should grab one of theirs.. any recommendation?

Tesco Finest American Double IPA (brewed by brewdog) works better in a bottle than their punk ipa does.

One things for certain,they certainly split opinion.
What's that saying about there being no such thing as bad publicity.......
IMO their beers are good but too pricey,end of.

I love anything insanely hopped, though it's an acquired taste for sure.
I think those beers are intoxicating, and not in a boozy way, just very heady and intense.
A bit like the first swig from an ice cold can of coke, when it hits you and you wince a bit, but have to go in for another hit.

I haven't had a drink since Sunday and it's starting to show.

I love anything insanely hopped, though it's an acquired taste for sure.
I think those beers are intoxicating, and not in a boozy way, just very heady and intense.
A bit like the first swig from an ice cold can of coke, when it hits you and you wince a bit, but have to go in for another hit.

I haven't had a drink since Sunday and it's starting to show.

I'm with you on that. I'm finding that I can find plenty of pleasant beers in pubs/supermarkets, but it's not often that they make you think 'wow, that's hoppy!'. Luckily we can hop the **** out of our own beers!

Tried the Tesco Dark IPA at last, quite nice isn't it? But, as above, I'd like it to be hoppier. Will bottle mine tomorrow, then the waiting game begins.

Dead pony is my favourite.

Latest posts

Back